Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Passenger Trains > MNR New Rochelle Yard Expansion for East Bronx Service

Date: 09/24/22 18:45
MNR New Rochelle Yard Expansion for East Bronx Service
Author: Passfanatic

It looks like the existing work train and storage yard in New Rochelle just north of the station will be expanded to accommodate the MNR East Bronx trains, many of which will likely terminate at New Rochelle. The yard is presently on the east side of the tracks and its present location will enable East Bronx trains starting out in NRO to not have to serve the platform connected to Track 3. Presently southbound Amtrak trains use Track 2 at NRO to ensure a less disruptive interchange from the New Haven Line onto the Hellgate Connection. https://talkofthesound.com/2022/09/23/metro-north-preps-new-rochelle-rail-yard-expansion-for-penn-access-project/?fbclid=IwAR3aOjtXqSxh8X7eZrbLmrgw824O8Ck1B8HPbE3gqa750kroPiSV6h9K9rM

Date: 09/24/22 19:31
Re: MNR New Rochelle Yard Expansion for East Bronx Service
Author: Lackawanna484

Good news.

I know nobody likes to like "regional" thinking, but why can't NJ Transit multi-level trains with ALP46 power run through NY Penn, and make the East Bronx service?  Lay over at New Rochelle, and return to NYP and on to Trenton, Long Branch, etc.

Beats laying over at Sunnyside Yard for a few hours, and collects some rent for NJT.  Metro-North people would run the train east of NY Penn, of course.

Date: 09/24/22 20:13

It's probably a jurisdiction matter of NJT trains not being allowed to continue to NRO. Something tells me that there could be at least half hourly MNR service seven days a week and that would be fine to handle the ridership. I'm very excited about the MNR East Bronx service happening. I used to have an aunt who lived in Co-op City and she is no longer around-passed on in June of 2017. Though I can't visit her anymore, when the East Bronx service begins, I look forward to going involving a train ride to City Island. I would have to take a bus the last few miles but it will beat either sitting in traffic on I-95 or doing the 6 train to the NYCTA bus combo. Though the yard is really intended for East Bronx trains, we have to also wonder if any of the short turns to Harrison will layover at the yard in NRO.

Date: 09/24/22 22:00
Author: joemvcnj

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good news.
>
> I know nobody likes to like "regional" thinking,
> but why can't NJ Transit multi-level trains with
> ALP46 power run through NY Penn, and make the East
> Bronx service?  Lay over at New Rochelle, and
> return to NYP and on to Trenton, Long Branch,
> etc.
>
> Beats laying over at Sunnyside Yard for a few
> hours, and collects some rent for NJT. 
> Metro-North people would run the train east of NY
> Penn, of course.

MN needs to run their service using some current LIRR terminal and East River tunnel slots, which do not necessarily coincide when NJT runs.

NJT and MN rush hour peaks are headed in opposite directions.

MN wants to run a reliable service, not subject to NJT's frequent delays, cancellations, poor mechanical condition now source of 62% of cancellations, and other shenanigans.

Few people in NJ need to go to the Bronx or New Rochelle and those people have little desire to go to NJ, and for the few that do can just transfer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/22 09:43 by joemvcnj.

Date: 09/25/22 05:58

There are plenty of people who might live along the New Haven Line and need to go to NJ and vice versa. I don't think we need NJT trains to continue in revenue service north of NYP. I think there will be East Bronx trains that will probably run every 30 minutes during off peak hours and weekends-this is needed. There are people who might live in the East Bronx who work in Newark who use public transportation. I work with somebody who has lived along the Hellgate Line and both of us work in Newark. He has taken public transportation both ways-I think the 6 train to the Path and would benefit from taking MNR to NJT, changing under one roof.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds