Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Passenger Trains > CTA Heritage Cars on the way to Loop.

Date: 10/01/22 17:18
CTA Heritage Cars on the way to Loop.
Author: DHarrison

CTA 75TH ANNIVERSARY HERITAGE PARADE........NORTH AVE REVERSE CURVES  Old tales say these curves were made 120 years ago to go around property owners who wanted too much for their property.  All motormen and operators gave a toot to the cameraman. One operator stopped to chat too.  The CTA was celebrating its 75th Anniversary Oct 01, 2022. The Heritage Fleet gave rides around the Loop. I caught the eight cars on their way downtown. The curves are on the Brown and Purple lines. 50 years ago this structure was four tracks. 
Three historic trains will run around the Loop L, board at Clark/Lake (tickets required for the first hour to avoid overcrowding, afterwards just get to the correct platform, they will running in both directions.  
One from the 1920s (the 4000 series, ran until 1973), featuring reversible leather seats, incandescent lighting, porcelain strap hangers, historic photos, and best of all, that low, growling motor sound.
One from the 1950s (the 6000 series, ran until 1992), familiar to older Chicagoans, with narrow blinker doors,  standee windows, cranked lower windows, bullseye incandescent lighting, quick and quiet.     
One from the 1970s (the 2400 series, ran until 2014), which doesn't look too different to the regular rider from the 2600s still running (sliding doors, flourescent lights), but there are reproduction vintage ads inside.  David Harrison

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/22 09:31 by DHarrison.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/01/22 18:45
Re: CTA Heritage Cars on the way to Loop.
Author: ghemr

Great videos---thanks!

Date: 10/01/22 19:26
Author: DevalDragon

DHarrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> One from the 1970s (the 2600 series, ran until
> 2014), which doesn't look too different to the
> regular rider from the 2600s still running
> (sliding doors, flourescent lights), but there are
> reproduction vintage ads inside.  David Harrison

There are no Budd 2600s in the CTA Heritage Fleet. The cars in your video are 2400 Boeing-Vertol cars.

I wish they would have kept a set of 2200s as they were more unique than the 2400s. But you can't have everything.

Date: 10/01/22 21:04
Author: GP25

On the Ozark Mountain Railcar page.

There is one of the 4000 series cars. That is rusting away.

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 10/01/22 22:22
Author: krm152

Super videos!  Like them all especially Video 3.
ALLEN

Date: 10/01/22 23:11
Author: mp51w

Great location!  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 10/02/22 10:40
Author: joemvcnj

4000's have the same whistle as the LIRR & PRR MP54's. 
How hard is it to find a train operator who is qualified on air brakes ? 

Date: 10/02/22 12:03
Author: IC_2024

I remember riding through those curves many years ago--thanks for bringing back some great memories!

Date: 10/02/22 19:35
Author: atsf121

Great video!  I was able to ride parts of the "L" on a few of my business trips to Chicago.  I didn't cover all of the lines like I wanted to, but I sure got a healthy does and enjoyed the Loop area.  Last business trip was almost 20 years ago, and my last trip with the family to Chicago was 8 years ago and I showed them the L but we didn't have time to ride.

I love the New York and Chicago have kept some of the older trains operating to do events like this, history in action is fun to see.

Nathan

Date: 10/02/22 21:55
Author: TAW

Seems funny to see L "heritage" cars that I have never seen because they were new after I left Chicago.

It's like the feeling I got in the early 90s going into a museum and seeing a telegraph office on display that in it a lot of what I was on vacation from.

TAW

Date: 10/03/22 08:47
Author: rustys6004

Excellent videos, thanks for capturing and posting!

Date: 10/03/22 09:02
Author: train1275

Excellent videos !!

Date: 10/03/22 09:58
Author: DHarrison

Thank you for all who enjoyed the videos. The LOOP downtown is always busy. The 90 ft curves shows why CTA cars are limited  in length to 48 ft. The curves in the video are a little bigger.....120 ft. Albout 3 miles north the CTA has three big projects going on.......the RPM. One is the overpass, now in operation. A second project is straighten some curves to improve speeds. The biggest project.....Maybe we will never call it the 'L' anymore......CTA calls it....."segmental box girder bridge structure."  Time willl tell. We will comeback in three years.  Then the whole project will be finished.  All 4 tracks will be operating....all the tracks will be direct fixation with no ties, no ballast. Stations will be ample, elevators, accessible. The structure will be higher, trucks can go under better. Shown here is a north view.

David Harrison.

Date: 10/03/22 14:55
Author: PasadenaSub

Great group of videos and photos in this thread.

Rich

Date: 10/04/22 08:05
Author: Roundhouse

In video 3 , trolley poles down, how do they power the units?

Date: 10/04/22 08:24
Author: DevalDragon

Roundhouse Wrote:
> In video 3 , trolley poles down, how do they power
> the units?

3rd rail. The CTA no longer has any overhead wire.

Date: 10/04/22 08:58
Author: brc600

Is Skokie Swift still overhead?

Date: 10/04/22 10:38
Author: joemvcnj

brc600 Wrote:
> Is Skokie Swift still overhead?

No, not for the least 15 or so years. The 3200's that had pantographs had them removed. A few others had a platform for a pantograph, but never had one. 

Date: 10/04/22 15:33
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice videos my man, the CTA sure does know how to keep older stuff to celebrate their anniversary, that last one that old set looked great!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds