Home Open Account Help 269 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak "Broadway Limited" with E units.

Date: 11/22/22 16:09
Amtrak "Broadway Limited" with E units.
Author: Guitartrain

How many of you remember that there was a signal bridge at Kinkora Heights on Conrail's Pittsburgh Line, 1.8 miles west of the Cove signal bridge? Under an overcast sky, four Amtrak E units (E8Au-447, E9B-475 & E9As-455 & 412) are in charge of the W/B Broadway Limited. As I recall, the W/B BL was train 41 at this time. 6:50PM on 8/6/77 in Kinkora Heights, PA.

Date: 11/22/22 16:46
Re: Amtrak "Broadway Limited" with E units.
Author: DavidP

1977 was an interesting time, when the embargo of Amtrak's SDP40Fs by Conrail and other roads required rapid redeployment of nearly retired E units to pick up the slack.

Dave

Date: 11/22/22 17:26
Author: MEKoch

That is about right on time for the train, after the engine change from a GG-1 in Harrisburg to these E unites.  

Date: 11/22/22 17:38
Author: PasadenaSub

Great photo, nice mix of Amtrak schemes on the Es.

Rich

Date: 11/22/22 19:41
Author: RuleG

Although I don't remember that signal bridge, I do remember my westbound Broadway Limited trip from Harrisburg to Chicago during the month following the one in which your photo was taken.  It had the four E-units and was a very nice trip.  Thanks for the memory,

Date: 11/22/22 22:39
Author: mp51w

Do you remember when it was the flagship train of the system, recieving the first refurbished cars in the 1970's?
This nice sign was stashed away in a closet in the modern waiting room at Chicago Union station back in 1987.
Just sad how it all ended.  I rode it several times, the last being in 1990, a week or so before it was moved to the ex-B&O route.

Date: 11/23/22 04:07
Author: amtrakbill

The twin unit diner served many delicious meals!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/23/22 08:59
Author: CPMorris

amtrakbill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The twin unit diner served many delicious meals!
Remember the 1980 "Sovereign Service"  logo?
Yea, how long did that last?  Today, I would settle for
any service !

Date: 11/23/22 16:26
Author: jp1822

Through car service so needed between Philadelphia/Harrisburg and out to Chicago via Pittsburgh.......When the Three Rivers was discontinued, Amtrak should have allowed for a split of the Capitol Limited at Pittsburgh that allowed passengers to travel to Philly or Washington DC. Would have been a much stronger Capitol Limited........ 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds