Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Passenger Trains > Empire Builder Reverses Course, Returns To Seattle

Date: 11/30/22 22:02
Empire Builder Reverses Course, Returns To Seattle
Author: walstib

Wednesday's edition of number 8 was somewhere east of Everett when Amtrak issued an alert about a delay due to debris on the tracks.

Then, about an hour later at 9:45, Amtrak issued an alert reporting the train was returning to Seattle due to a fallen tree on the tracks.

No further details yet about where this debris is, or how serious. Washington got slammed with rain and snow over the past 24-36 hours, so it might be more than just a tree.

No word yet on what will become of number 8's passengers.

Date: 11/30/22 22:13
Re: Empire Builder Reverses Course, Returns To Seattle
Author: dan

Seth said the train hit the tree, with damage, going back to seattle for a touch up

and the crew situation may preclude any further operations once this crew dies?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/22 23:00 by dan.

Date: 11/30/22 22:20

When the Builder flipped on the Seattle Coach Wye today it had charger 304 on the point, and AMTK 134. I didn't catch number 8 leaving town, so I don't know if both units went east.

Date: 11/30/22 23:17

Amtrak now reports 8 is cancelled between Seattle and Spokane.

Meanwhile, 28 is pretty much on time.

Perhaps 7/27 will donate some equipment to 8/28 going east from Spokane.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/30/22 23:29
Author: PHall

Don't they have a known slide zone up there around Everett? If the fallen tree forced them to stop in the slide zone they were probably directed to get the train out of the zone.
So going back to Seattle was probably the safest and quickest solution.

Date: 11/30/22 23:39

The slide zone that typically causes issues is along Puget Sound, south of Everett.

Tonight’s fallen tree was somewhere inland, east of Everett, although it wasn’t stated how far east of Everett.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/22 23:40 by walstib.

Date: 12/01/22 03:58
Author: goduckies

28 departed on time from Spokane, so it must be a stub

Posted from Android

Date: 12/01/22 06:17
Author: steve4031

I suspect the decision to return 8 to Seattle was a response to the negative publicity that occurred with the Wolverine screw-up in October.  Amtrak probably wanted to avoid a situation where a series of delays caused similar publicity.  I disagree with not getting the train through to Spokane.  

Date: 12/01/22 06:31
Author: joemvcnj

No sign of 28 on the map, but there is an 8 that is past Libby, MT.  
Let's see how they will cobble together a 7 & 27 on Saturday out of Chicago. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/22 06:33 by joemvcnj.

Date: 12/01/22 07:18
Author: TomPittsfieldMA

28(30) arrived at Spokane 24 minutes late at 12:41, spent 41 minutes there, then departing 14 minutes late as (8)30. No indication that passengers from 8 were bused there.  And the incoming 7/27 of 11/29 arrived (early) at 2:16, so it couldn't have provided any extra cars to #8. 

The good news, I think, is that there will be a the full consist of the #8 that reversed and the #7 which is coming in (on time or early so far) available to go east today. So there should be no problem accommodating yesterday's #8 passengers if they're prepared to travel a day late.

Barring further issues, there should be no impact on the system except for the unfortunate passengers on Train 8. They were recently able to put together an entire replacement consist at Chicago, so sending out a full 7/27 on 12/3 should be doable if a short #8 arrives on 12/2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/22 07:31 by TomPittsfieldMA.

Date: 12/01/22 07:38

If they bussed #8's people to Spokane, there would be no place to put them on 28's little consist. 

Date: 12/01/22 07:42
Author: sethamtrak

The 8(30) is a BNSF GEVO, ALC42 Charger, Sightseer, Coach-Bag, Coach, and Sleeper. They continued east with just the Portland Section. 

I'll bet 1/2 the passengers booked east of Spokane, and the other 1/2 booked to the Seattle section be damned. At least when they get to Chicago they can build an extra Seattle Section for Saturday's departure from Chicago. Maybe it'll be a double Seattle section coming east on tonight's 8 out of Seattle. 

Date: 12/01/22 08:30
Author: jp1822

So all those passengers on Train #28 of 11/30 get to enjoy cafe food for two days!!! Yikes! I hope Amtrak decides to bring something on board somewhere along the way, just to provide some sort of reprieve. Sleeper Car passengers are likely getting a free meal from the cafe, but even that's a stretch from traditional dining!!! At the same token, I think if I were on #28 and had option to continue East or hold in Spokane for a day - I'd just proceed forward on #28. I think this happened once last year, with #28 continuing by itself to Chicago, but this has RARELY happened to my knowledge. 

Date: 12/01/22 11:36

Too bad Havre Box Car lunches are just a memory. I liked them. 

Date: 12/01/22 12:57
Author: MarionLinn

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So all those passengers on Train #28 of 11/30 get
> to enjoy cafe food for two days!!! Yikes! I hope
> Amtrak decides to bring something on board
> somewhere along the way, just to provide some sort
> of reprieve. Sleeper Car passengers are likely
> getting a free meal from the cafe, but even that's
> a stretch from traditional dining!!! At the same
> token, I think if I were on #28 and had option to
> continue East or hold in Spokane for a day - I'd
> just proceed forward on #28. I think this happened
> once last year, with #28 continuing by itself to
> Chicago, but this has RARELY happened to my
> knowledge. 
Due to no diner available on abbreviated Train 8/28(30) between Spokane and Chicago, service recovery plan is as follows: Continental style items order out of Spokane for sleeper car passengers.  Pizza will be served at Havre, MT.  Applebee's anticipated to be served for dinner out of Williston, ND.  Continental style breakfast anticipated to be served again on Friday, December 2nd.  Lunch (Jimmy John's) will be ordered for Winona, MN.

After striking a downed tree 55 miles east of Everett near East Skykomish, the train advanced to Scenic siding for a detailed inspection under more favorable lighting.  Multiple windows were reported either heavily damaged, missing or pushed into car interiors.  Damage was sufficient to prevent the train from continuing east.  Weather was 32 degrees with light snow.  The train shoved back to Skykomish where BNSF 7550 was added to the rear to lead westward and bring the consist and 101 passengers back to their points of departure.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0761 seconds