Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Passenger Trains > 10 hour late Zephyr

Date: 01/23/23 14:52
10 hour late Zephyr
Author: atsf121

BoilingMan had the "ghost" of #5 on Saturday.  Well that created a super late #6 through Utah today, it was just over 10 hours late when it passed me.  Whatever is going on, it's cursed.  I saw that it was leaving Salt Lake after I finished a call, so I hustled out the door, and then waited and waited, and waited some more for it to finally show up.  At one point, it had barely left the Salt Lake platform before it was stopped again, not sure what that delay was about.  I got some great video of the Bloody Nose this afternoon with fresh snow on Timpanogos.  At least the passengers got some pretty views today for this part of the ride, which is normally in the dark.  I was able to snag a photo of a Ogden bound Frontrunner when I first got to the spot I wanted to setup at.  The starlings didn't photobomb the photo too bad, but they bombed the car bad enough that I needed to stop at the carwash afterwards.

Nathan

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/23/23 15:17
Re: 10 hour late Zephyr
Author: BoilingMan

Love the photo with the starlings!
SR

Is this the #5 we'll get in California tomorrow (Tuesday)?

Date: 01/23/23 15:30

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love the photo with the starlings!
> SR
>
> Is this the #5 we'll get in California tomorrow
> (Tuesday)?

Thanks, didn't see them when I lined up the shot.  Was glad they didn't ruin it.

Ah, I can see the confusion.  This is #6 headed for Chicago that left California yesterday.  I was thinking this was the super late #5 you saw Saturday, but maybe there was another set with #161 already in Oakland that ended up leaving late yesterday.  I saw #203 yesterday, had expected it Saturday.  So something appears to be off on the rotation through Oakland.

Nathan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/23 15:32 by atsf121.

Date: 01/23/23 15:36
Author: BoilingMan

Okay- got it.   The 203 laid over an extra night in Oakland, adding an extra day to the rotation.
SR

Date: 01/23/23 16:56
Author: BlaineM

Was a nice catch passing through my town.  Old Timp looks good covered with snow, we need it.
Blaine
American Fork

Date: 01/23/23 18:22

BlaineM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was a nice catch passing through my town.  Old
> Timp looks good covered with snow, we need it.
> Blaine
> American Fork

Wanted a shot with Timp after the fresh snow. While I’m partial to the Heber Valley side where my mom and grandma grew up, our side is still a great backdrop.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/24/23 07:03

And things keep getting worse.  The train is now 17+ hours late and hasn't made it to Denver yet after problems in eastern Utah last night.  https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,5616857

Nathan

Date: 01/25/23 04:47
Author: joemvcnj

I said it last year, and I'll say it again this year, the Cal Zephyr Jan - Mar should be segmented in Denver. 

Between Utter Pathetic in Nevada, Donner Pass weather, rock slides on the D&RGW, blizzards in the plains, locomotive failures, it could at least isolate the problems on one side of Denver, where there is heavy rider turnover, from the other. It would lose most thru-travel, but gain some reliability. Chicago - Denver can be a heavy market, but is ruined by problems that seem to be disproportionately out west. 

I'd say that about the Crescent at Atlanta too, but there is no facility there to do that. 

Date: 01/28/23 17:47
Author: ProAmtrak

Nice video of no. 6!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0638 seconds