Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Passenger Trains > FL: A "not so enjoyable" ride on BrightLine

Date: 01/24/23 07:17
FL: A "not so enjoyable" ride on BrightLine
Author: Lackawanna484

Miami Video blogger Joel Franco has a report on a trip he took from Miami to the new Boca Raton station and back, just before Christmas. His comped trip was marred by over booking in both directions and a crowded train. Overall, the stations were of BrghtLine's high quality.  Mr Franco's observations that inserting Boca Raton into a ticket inventory that already had sales created a problem for their ticketing system.  Some boarding passengers found people in their seats, with the same seat #, date of travel, etc.  Mr Franco gave up his two seats to a couple on his first trip, and was re-seated in a single seat (BrightLine has two seats by one seat in their first class). On the return trip he gave up his seat to boarding passengers at Fort Lauderdale and was placed on a bench opposite the rest room. Good tour of the rest room for folks who want to see a very high tech, hands free, lights and whistles rest room.

This is a new problem in my observation, as was the jam up at the free local Lyft pickup point at Miami. A line of perhaps 15-20 people waited for the promised Lyft service.

He enjoyed the free food, sandwiches, soft drinks, and premium lounge.  As usual, the BrightLine people did a commendable job of hospitality.  Trains were early in both directions.  He also mentioned a media only ride to Aventura, which wasn't open to the public at the time he made this video.

U Tube   Joel Franco, an Overbooked Ride from BrightLine's new station - Boca Raton

Date: 01/24/23 07:37
Re: FL: A "not so enjoyable" ride on BrightLine
Author: ts1457

Am airline approach to "no-shows" won't work for BL. It needs to can this approach quickly before it hurts itself.

Date: 01/24/23 08:12
Author: Jishnu

I understand this was a one time error in how they inserted the new stations into a system which already had previously booked accommodation. Somehow they forgot to mark seats already occupied as such and inadvertently made those available for booking from the new stations. This will get sorted out and will not repeat. Brightline does not use airline style no show handling AFAIK.

What they should do is get more cars to beef up their consists if they are facing overcrowding situations. These consists can be expanded to double their size and still fit the platforms.

Date: 01/24/23 08:13

I forgot to mention that he also joined passengers on the platform at Boca Raton for the return / southbound trip.  That's very unusual in BrightLine's protocol. You wait upstairs until the train has arrived, and then brought down to the high platform level and the train.

Edit to Jishnu's observation: I wondered about that lack of cars, too.  BrightLine now has several train sets in Orlando, and the extra Red set in West Palm Beach.  So, adding color coordinated cars to existing trains wouldn't upset their design layout.

Amtrak has a similar blind spot in that fixed consist world view, too. I always wondered why trains that regularly sell out (like Acela 2154, an early morning DC to NY run) don't borrow a coach or two.  So there would be a few long sets, and a few short sets.  When service time arrives, swap out the extra coach and create a new long set, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 08:19 by Lackawanna484.

Date: 01/24/23 08:20
Author: P

So everything was great, except it was too crowded.
That's a good problem to have.

It sounds like the glitch allowing for an overbooked situation was a one time event?

Wheres LaHood? The transportation secretary who idiotically said that no one wants to ride trains anymore?

Regional service like this is different than overnight long distance for sure, but they are both highly desired. Amtrak will always need subsidy, just like highways and airports, but perhaps Amtrak could get some leadership like that at Brightline to run their long distance network? You know, someone that cares about providing service.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/24/23 10:01
Author: Latebeans

Nearly every city of any size in Europe, and elsewhere, have  some sort of regional rail system that goes beyond their shorter distance metro systems. Germany has their S-bhans, Spain has the Cercanias, and in Paris it's the RER.  And yes, I do know that this isn't Europe but perhaps this is a step in that direction.

Date: 01/24/23 11:07
Author: Englewood

P Wrote:

> Wheres LaHood? The transportation secretary who
> idiotically said that no one wants to ride trains
> anymore?

https://www.tylin.com/news/tylin-adds-former-us-secretary-transportation-ray-lahood-board-directors

"LaHood's career of public service and infrastructure leadership and accomplishments will benefit TYLin
and its clients as they look to navigate the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act."

Illinois translation: Nobody will talk to nobody who nobody sent but they will talk to TYLin because they been sent
by LaHood.

https://dewittdailynews.com/local-news/644928
He only supports trains in Illinois because that is where he has connections. He doesn't support trains
as much as he supports money being spent on trains. Once the money is spent it is time to move on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/23 11:16 by Englewood.

Date: 01/24/23 12:24
Author: TAW

Latebeans Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do know that this isn't Europe

That argument gets so old and tired. OK, fine. Don't want to do what Europe does because this isn't Europe, then here's a list of stuff to stop doing:

Drink wine and beer, brandy and vodka, drive Benz, Audi, BMW, VW, eat Italian food, Greek food, French food, Basque food, and on and on.

TAW

Date: 01/24/23 15:04
Author: atsf121

TAW Wrote:
> Latebeans Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I do know that this isn't Europe
>
> That argument gets so old and tired. OK, fine.
> Don't want to do what Europe does because this
> isn't Europe, then here's a list of stuff to stop
> doing:
>
> Drink wine and beer, brandy and vodka, drive Benz,
> Audi, BMW, VW, eat Italian food, Greek food,
> French food, Basque food, and on and on.
>
> TAW

Hahahaha!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/24/23 19:43
Author: RuleG

P Wrote:

> Wheres LaHood?

My understanding is that Ray LaHood is in Illinois.  There is no obligation for him to be in Florida.

The transportation secretary who
> idiotically said that no one wants to ride trains
> anymore?

In doing an internet search of that quote, I could find no evidence the Ray LaHood said anything like that.  On the contrary, in 2011 Ray LaHood said:"Anybody that gets on a train knows that people like trains. I took the train up here last night from Washington. It was completely full. People are ready to get on trains.”Source: https://reason.org/commentary/secretary-lahood-people-that-ride-t/

Date: 01/24/23 20:34
Author: POW

Brightline is doing what Amtrak seems to be totally incapable of doing: offering first class service at a reasonable cost.  Instead of airline executives, Amtrak should get their executives from Brightline.

Date: 01/25/23 05:27
Author: mbrotzman

Really hate this growing trend towards assigned seats on trains. Don't they realize it reduces capacity? If a single physical seat isn't available between two stations that ticket cannot be booked, even if multiple different physical seats are available over the course of the same distance. 

Date: 01/25/23 07:12

RuleG Wrote:
> P Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Wheres LaHood?
>
> My understanding is that Ray LaHood is in
> Illinois.  There is no obligation for him to be
> in Florida.
>
> The transportation secretary who
> > idiotically said that no one wants to ride
> trains
> > anymore?
>
> In doing an internet search of that quote, I could
> find no evidence the Ray LaHood said anything like
> that.  On the contrary, in 2011 Ray LaHood
> said:"Anybody that gets on a train knows that
> people like trains. I took the train up here last
> night from Washington. It was completely full.
> People are ready to get on
> trains.”Source: https://reason.org/commentary/s
> ecretary-lahood-people-that-ride-t/
>
>
>  
Ha! As long as your internet search says it isn't so, then that must be the truth. How naive.
It was well understood that this gentleman was touring the nation with the intent of cutting Amtrak services. I'm surprised you didn't search Trainorders.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/25/23 11:34

Many people like the advance comfort of an assigned seat with their name, etc. Window seat, middle of the train, etc.

Look at the uproar in planes when somebody discovers their family isn't sitting together because they bought unassigned, cheapo seats

Posted from Android

Date: 01/25/23 19:04
Author: RuleG

P Wrote:

> Ha! As long as your internet search says it isn't
> so, then that must be the truth. How naive.
> It was well understood that this gentleman was
> touring the nation with the intent of cutting
> Amtrak services. I'm surprised you didn't search
> Trainorders.
>
> Posted from Android

A search on Trainorders shows that you made this same claim before in a November 19, 2012 thread.  Another TO member corrected you, per the following:

DavidP Wrote:
> P Wrote:
> -----
> > Is this the same Ray LaHood that tried to
> convince
> > everybody 5 years ago that no one wants to ride
> > trains anymore?
> >
> > How can he hold the same position under a new
> > president with supposedly an opposite
> viewpoint?
>
>
> That was Norman Mineta.
>
> Dave

Date: 01/26/23 21:31

RuleG Wrote:
> P Wrote:
> -----
>
> > Ha! As long as your internet search says it
> isn't
> > so, then that must be the truth. How naive.
> > It was well understood that this gentleman was
> > touring the nation with the intent of cutting
> > Amtrak services. I'm surprised you didn't
> search
> > Trainorders.
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> A search on Trainorders shows that you made this
> same claim before in a November 19, 2012 thread. 
> Another TO member corrected you, per the
> following:
>
> DavidP Wrote:
> -----
> > P Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Is this the same Ray LaHood that tried to
> > convince
> > > everybody 5 years ago that no one wants to
> ride
> > > trains anymore?
> > >
> > > How can he hold the same position under a new
> > > president with supposedly an opposite
> > viewpoint?
> >
> >
> > That was Norman Mineta.
> >
> > Dave

Ah, I stand corrected! My apologies.

Date: 01/27/23 07:30
Author: symph1

mbrotzman Wrote:
> Really hate this growing trend towards assigned
> seats on trains. Don't they realize it reduces
> capacity? If a single physical seat isn't
> available between two stations that ticket cannot
> be booked, even if multiple different physical
> seats are available over the course of the same
> distance. 
>
Japan solves this in their bullet trains. Some cars have reserved seats, and some are non-reserved.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1305 seconds