Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak's duck horn (1993)

Date: 03/03/23 15:27
Amtrak's duck horn (1993)
Author: gonx

Amtrak #5 and #6 pass through Gold Run on SP Donner Pass. The eastbound siding has a Loram Rail Grinder and a work train awaiting permission to re-enter the main and continue rail surfacing. #6 has Mr. Moyers aboard- I didn't know about it at the time, but this was his final review of the plan to consolidate double track Donner Pass into a smooth CTC single track mainline with 8,000 ft sidings. Take notice of the use of yard power on mountain work trains- The crew complained loudly over the radio about using cruds. The sw1500s lasted 3 days and new power was delivered to the water train the following week. SP was having trouble finding reliable power for trains.

Thanks for looking,
-Lee

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/03/23 17:34
Re: Amtrak's duck horn (1993)
Author: RuleG

Can't help but smile listening to the toy-like sounds of the horn on #5.  

Hearing the horn on #6 brought back pleasant memories of F40s and their horns.

Thanks for sharing.

Date: 03/03/23 19:43
Author: Pioneer2526

Interesting that there is no lounges

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/04/23 15:17
Author: coach

One man can make a difference---and I wish that difference (single-tracking) hadn't happened.

Date: 03/04/23 17:34
Author: ProAmtrak

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One man can make a difference---and I wish that
> difference (single-tracking) hadn't happened.

I bet The Bear would agree, me too being a teen fan at the time, wasn't happy hearing how Mr. Moyers was supposed to be SP's Mr Fix IT, yeah Mr. Cut back because I found out from my friend Wendell he was also part of the single tracking of the IC's Main from Chicago-New Orleans which was dumb in my opinion hearing about that myself, people like Moyers don't know how to improve things, they just like downgrading stuff that has worked before he and even people of today's Amamanagment have been doing!

Date: 03/05/23 00:55
Author: goduckies

Pioneer2526 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting that there is no lounges
>
> Posted from iPhone
Desert wind got them.... so half the Diner was one.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/23 00:55 by goduckies.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds