Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Passenger Trains > Silver Service Dining

Date: 03/14/23 13:35
Silver Service Dining
Author: Magritte55

There have been rumors of some type of traditional dining coming back to the Meteor or Star (or both?) shortly.  March 15th seems to be a date that is floating around.  

Has there been any recent, reliable information on this point?  I'd love to look at the Amtrak website tomorrow and find some type of improved menu for the Silvers,  but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for any insights.

Date: 03/14/23 13:52
Re: Silver Service Dining
Author: lordsigma

Nothing official yet but reportedly according to posts on another board they are doing a soft pilot launch on the Silver Star only beginning with the northbound 92 departure March 15. This apparently will run for 90 days.

Date: 03/14/23 15:08
Author: jp1822

lordsigma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing official yet but reportedly according to
> posts on another board they are doing a soft pilot
> launch on the Silver Star only beginning with the
> northbound 92 departure March 15. This apparently
> will run for 90 days.

On the Silver Star???? WHAT??? I am glad they are trying to restore full service traditional dining, but on the Silver Star???? Is this the ONLY single level eastern LD train getting the full traditional dining treatment RESTORED? 

That train would be the last of the single level long distance trains I'd launch a pilot program on. The Cardinal has more people patronizing its food service car. The Silver Star has got horrible meal timing paired with its peak ridership loads, let alone patronage, for its dining meal periods. Travelled it regularly when I had a client outside of Tampa. Even with it was full service with the Heritage Diner, it's patronage was VERY light and to be honest - I didn't really have an issue when Boardman took the Heritage Diner off of it (largely due to shortages on Heritage Diner, but also due to the fact it of what I've just stated). If they are looking to launch on a "lightly patronized route for meal periods" - then they did select the right train. But I am a little afraid this could give rise to "well, we tried it, and it was popular, so we've discontinued the pilot to the other single level long distance trains." Just putting it out there - everyone can make their opinions, but for those commenting, hope you've ridden the Star REGULARLY. 

The Silver Meteor is the one they should have went after to restore dining. THAT train would be the one to do the pilot program on - regardless. Even if it did have three sleepers in tow, which I am not sure if it is presently at two or three Viewliner sleepers based on a recent observation.........

Date: 03/14/23 15:30
Author: ChicagoCoyote

Give Amtrak a break here. At least they're trying SOMETHING...

Date: 03/14/23 15:36
Author: lordsigma

Well the two Silvers are the only two trains they have committed to this on so it was going to be one or the other first or both at once. I’m not all that concerned about passenger response - I think on any of the trains the response is going to be very positive over the flex meals.

Also according to the posts on the other board - this is going to be sleeper only at launch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/23 15:38 by lordsigma.

Date: 03/14/23 15:58
Author: Flyer92122

The pilot is a set up to fail scenario. 1 cook/1 LSA that's it, if rumors are correct. . I guess we will know for sure tomorrow. 

Date: 03/14/23 16:34
Author: Tominde

I just look at it as Amtrak says let's try our lightest patronage first to work things out for eastern dining.  Fewer moving parts with small staff, crew and supply chain. Conspiracy, stupidity, or just business. Take your pick.

Date: 03/14/23 16:43
Author: joemvcnj

Tominde Wrote:
> I just look at it as Amtrak says let's try our
> lightest patronage first to work things out for
> eastern dining.  Fewer moving parts with small
> staff, crew and supply chain. Conspiracy,
> stupidity, or just business. Take your pick.

For lightest patronage to stumble with, pick the Crescent or the Cardinal

Date: 03/14/23 17:12
Author: ProAmtrak

ChicagoCoyote Wrote:
> Give Amtrak a break here. At least they're trying
> SOMETHING...

Ever since Airline Boy me and a few others haven't and never will until they actually put an effort 100% on the LD Fleet!

Posted from Android

Date: 03/15/23 04:55
Author: alan2955

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Tominde Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I just look at it as Amtrak says let's try our
> > lightest patronage first to work things out for
> > eastern dining.  Fewer moving parts with small
> > staff, crew and supply chain. Conspiracy,
> > stupidity, or just business. Take your pick.
>
> For lightest patronage to stumble with, pick the
> Crescent or the Cardinal

What does Amtrak have to make everything they do look so hard? For god sake it’s no more than a handful of rolling restaurants. With a very limited menu. That is mostly premade. You would think they’re trying to reinvent the wheel, instead of doing something that should not be that difficult. The ineptitude of this company is just mind-boggling.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/15/23 09:28
Author: jp1822

alan2955 Wrote:
> joemvcnj Wrote:
> -----
> > Tominde Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I just look at it as Amtrak says let's try
> our
> > > lightest patronage first to work things out
> for
> > > eastern dining.  Fewer moving parts with
> small
> > > staff, crew and supply chain. Conspiracy,
> > > stupidity, or just business. Take your pick.
> >
> > For lightest patronage to stumble with, pick
> the
> > Crescent or the Cardinal
>
> What does Amtrak have to make everything they do
> look so hard? For god sake it’s no more than a
> handful of rolling restaurants. With a very
> limited menu. That is mostly premade. You would
> think they’re trying to reinvent the wheel,
> instead of doing something that should not be that
> difficult. The ineptitude of this company is just
> mind-boggling.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Very true! Northbound and southbound, the only meal service that has any major patronage (sleeper, coach, whatever) is breakfast and lunch, due to the train's schedule and the way the train's patronage is aligned. Not getting into the weeds on this, but if you don't believe, go ride the train multiple times through the seasons. It's just very interesting. I hardly could believe it myself till I experienced it. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/23 09:34 by jp1822.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0917 seconds