Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Passenger Trains > Trains 11/14 south of San Jose

Date: 03/15/23 14:43
Trains 11/14 south of San Jose
Author: SanJoseHost

Well, this looks challenging...

"WATSONVILLE, Calif. (KSBW)—Union Pacific train tracks that run past Watsonville were significantly damaged during Sunday's storm. The levee breach on the Pajaro river that flooded the community of Pajaro also flooded tracks used by Amtrak and owned by Union Pacific. Union Pacific announced that all service between Watsonville and Paso Robles has been effectively stopped. Union Pacific did not give an estimated reopening date for the route. The company said that due to continued flooding on the tracks, repair work has not started. Amtrak had already canceled routes through March 15 because of poor weather conditions"
Video of the area in question: https://www.ksbw.com/article/watsonville-track-damage-halts-amtrak-service-to-paso-robles/43318577

Date: 03/15/23 15:58
Re: Trains 11/14 south of San Jose
Author: GenePoon

Southern Pacific's CASCADE, revived!!! 

But with no triple-unit diner/kitchen/lounge and no wonderful almost-lie-flat coach seats.  Still has sleepers (many SP crews called them "Standards" when I worked there).

Date: 03/15/23 17:00
Author: PHall

GenePoon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Southern Pacific's CASCADE, revived!!! 
>
> But with no triple-unit diner/kitchen/lounge and
> no wonderful almost-lie-flat coach seats.  Still
> has sleepers (many SP crews called them
> "Standards" when I worked there).

How does this relate to the washout south of Watsonville Jct???

Date: 03/15/23 18:44
Author: GenePoon

PHall Wrote:
----------------------------------------------
> How does this relate to the washout south of
> Watsonville Jct???
========================

I guess it doesn't, because Amtrak has decided to cancel the entire route, not operating north of Oakland as the CASCADE did.

Novelty transportation and Fair-weather railroading. In the past when such a disruption occurred and equipment was out of position, a makeup set would be cobbked together and a stub train would run. But not at today's Amtrak.

Date: 03/15/23 20:01
Author: walstib

This isn't the first time the Pajaro Valley has flooded, and it won't likely be the last.

In 1995, also in early March, a levee broke, flooding the same area that flooded this year.

There's an interesting 30-minute documentary about the 1995 flood available on YouTube. It focuses largely on the flood and cleanup, but the aerial photos show the railroad facilities, including a SP unit painted in the failed SPSF merger livery.

Here's the URL: https://youtu.be/Y27i_sz81ZM

You can also find it by searching YouTube for Pajaro Valley flood of 1995.

Date: 03/15/23 21:32
Author: coach

I certainly hope will HUSTLE and move cars for customers below Salinas to Oxnard, then head north and service them.  But that's takes some thinking and TEAM-work.

Building America!

Date: 03/16/23 01:46
Author: pdt

AFAIK....stralight trains 11 and 14 are operating between EMY and SEA.    Someone mentioned that the whole route was cancelled, which i do not believe is true.

Date: 03/16/23 04:18
Author: OTG

pdt Wrote:
> AFAIK....stralight trains 11 and 14 are operating
> between EMY and SEA.    Someone mentioned that
> the whole route was cancelled, which i do not
> believe is true.

It is true, although train service between Seattle and Emeryville should be restored Thursday or Friday..  there was a mudslide between Seattle and Portland on the Cascades routr, hence why the further
closer of the northern half of the route.

Date: 03/16/23 20:32
Author: portlander

GenePoon Wrote:
> PHall Wrote:
> ----------------------------------------------
> > How does this relate to the washout south of
> > Watsonville Jct???
> ========================
>
> I guess it doesn't, because Amtrak has decided to
> cancel the entire route, not operating north of
> Oakland as the CASCADE did.
>
> Novelty transportation and Fair-weather
> railroading. In the past when such a disruption
> occurred and equipment was out of position, a
> makeup set would be cobbked together and a stub
> train would run. But not today with better options including air travel and interstate highways.

FTFYB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds