Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Passenger Trains > MBTA Green Line in light snow

Date: 03/17/23 08:52
MBTA Green Line in light snow
Author: dwatry

I was out riding the MBTA Green Line "D-Riverside" Branch on Tuesday during a light snow flurry.  To me the D-line is the most interesting of the Green Line branches, because it is a converted mainline railroad, and has the look of an interurban once you get out past Reservoir.  Until it was abandoned in 1958, it was a Boston & Albany (NYC) branch line with commuter rail service.  The Boston-area MTA (precursor to the MBTA) bought the line and electrified it, tied it into the existing streetcar subway, and converted it to PCC-car operation in 1959.  (Imagine doing all that conversion in a year!  Today that would take years to accomplish!)    Today, there are LRVs of 3 different manufacturers running mostly 2-car trains on the line.   Unfortunately, MBTA has just slapped a maximum 25-mph speed limit on this line due to track maintenance concerns, so trips on the line can be agonizingly slow. 

1)  Inbound train at Newton Centre station with light snow falling.  With this former B&A station in the background, you can really see the mainline heritage of this line.   Train consist is two CAF Type 9 cars, which are currently the newest LRVs in the MBTA fleet.
2) Outbound train at Newton Centre.  Train consist here is a Kinki-Sharyo Type 7 leading, and a Breda Type 8 trailing.  MBTA mixes the Type 7 and 8s on each train so that there is a low floor car (Type 8s) on every train.
3) Two trains of CAF Type 9s meet between Waban and Eliot.  I'm on the inbound train here.

Date: 03/17/23 12:16
Re: MBTA Green Line in light snow
Author: cutboy1958

Very  nice. Wish  my  fair  city  had  something   like  it!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0354 seconds