Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Passenger Trains > What A Joke LDT

Date: 03/17/23 12:25
What A Joke LDT
Author: hzephyr

In my 51 years of following and supporting Amtrak, I have never seen it this bad.
Late trains, Cancelled trains. What the heck is going on? The CZ is unbelievable.
The tains consistently 3-6 hours late most days and cnacell ed most days west
of Salt Lake. Who wants to ride an outfit like this? What a JOKE.

Date: 03/17/23 12:41
Re: What A Joke LDT
Author: CR900945

Agreed.  I worked for Penn Central in the dark days before Amtrak and cannot recall service disruptions of this magnitude.  Even after Amtrak took over, engine failures were quickly addressed by commandeering anything nearby that ran.

Date: 03/17/23 12:44
Author: ghemr

I concur!

Date: 03/17/23 12:52
Author: lordsigma

Mother nature has been harsh this year. Donner has gotten absolutely pounded with snow and UP has closed down the route twice. Amtrak certainly deserves blame for mechanical delays and what not but not sure what they're supposed to do when the route is closed - unless your criticism extends to the host railroads and the industry in general being unable or unwilling to operate in the extreme weather as well. This week they've also had mud slides, rock slides, and avalanches along the route.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/23 12:53 by lordsigma.

Date: 03/17/23 13:03
Author: ClubCar

hzephyr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my 51 years of following and supporting Amtrak,
> I have never seen it this bad.
> Late trains, Cancelled trains. What the heck is
> going on? The CZ is unbelievable.
> The trains consistently 3-6 hours late most days
> and cnacell ed most days west
> of Salt Lake. Who wants to ride an outfit like
> this? What a JOKE.

You are right about a joke; however, look who is at the helm of Amtrak?  A big boob named Gardner and his non-knowledgeable cronies are the culprits ruining Amtrak.  They all have to go, the sooner the better.  Congress needs to take immediate action.

Date: 03/17/23 13:41
Author: ronald321

I would go one step further in calling Amtrak a joke.    in on-time performance , I would call it a crying shame.

Consider the Texas Eagle so far in  March.  It arrived Chicago on time (or slightly better) 4 times -- but, riders have every right to expect this.

But, here are some arrivals I call "Human Suffering"

March 1 -- 13 hours 14 min. Late
March 3 -- 8 hours 43 min. Late
March 15 - 4 hours 27 min. Late
March 16 -- 9 hours 41 min. late

and, this train has no lounge car - and coach passengers are banned from full meal service in the diner (Total discrimination)

So, Gardner is worse than a Boob.

Date: 03/17/23 16:08
Author: goduckies

Unfortunately Amtrak can't be counted on in winter any more.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/17/23 16:29
Author: irhoghead

And during the summer, Amtrak will cancel trains due to the possibility of passengers getting sunburn during a smoke stop.

Date: 03/17/23 16:38
Author: ronald321

goduckies -- I know what you're saying -- big snowstorms are a problem for everyone -

but even in Summer -- you will find the dispatching of the freight railroads to be a disgrace,  This may change when
the STB takes up the On-Time case

In this case --Acts of God  - like snowstorms, or Police  Actions - are exempted.  But for every other delay, someone is going to pay fines.

The freight railroad cause most Amtrak delays -- but Metro North , NJT, MARC  are a big cause of Amtrak delays on the Corridor.

But, this is no comfort to passengers who suffer a 13 hour late Texas Eagle.

Date: 03/17/23 16:40
Author: ProAmtrak

Ever since Airline Boy was CEO this is how Amtrak's been, wasn't too long ago when they always toughed it out unless something beyond anyone's control had to call it, now it's "We're just like the airlines, deal with it!"

Date: 03/18/23 05:26
Author: jcaestecker

It's a joke, alright, and I feel your pain, hzephyr.  Or wait -- maybe not.  I don't spend money on ATK anymore.

-John

Date: 03/18/23 09:32
Author: dispr

The joke is actually the idotic and uninformed comments made by the armchair know-it-alls on this board.
Some of the worst weather the western US has seen in decades.
Huge number of freight train breakdowns and improper handing/management of trains by freight railroads.
Still covering from the pandemic - staffing shortages - the same shortages experiences by all railroads, oh and airlines, and many other companies.
Yes - Amtrak shares much of the blame, but really - the "joke" - the "circus" is right here.
Shame on all of you.

Date: 03/18/23 14:02
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Not a joke, Amtrak is a 'idiotic' joke indeed. I doubt we will ever spend money on Amtrak again.Train may or may not run, probably be very late arriving where you are going, you will most likely miss your connection unless that train is not even running either, fares are jacked up and then lowered faster than you can plan a trip, dining?? HA! go to a convenience store and do better and at least the clerk will probably say thank you when you pay, oh you are in coach, well its a pisser you are there - no dining car for you most likely. Unhappy car attendant, good chance of that too.

Date: 03/19/23 05:35
Author: Drknow

I’ve been subjected to scorn for reference to Amjoke in the last few years. I stand by it. For the most part the brothers and sisters in the crafts TRY to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but there are glowing examples of Amjokeness (CHICAGO) and the management of the last 10 years has almost wiped out any gains the railroad has made over the last 40.
An example is the baggage cars. Amjoke sez the old ones are shot and new ones are needed. New baggage cars are delivered and Covid hits, so in some bizarre twist Amjoke suspends the express service. A service that basically doesn’t need anyone but baggage handlers/station agents to work. Has the service been restored? I don’t know so please enlighten, but last I knew it was still suspended. This is one example of Amjoke seemingly going out of there way too not provide service and generate cash flow.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/23 20:34
Author: SanDiegan

goduckies Wrote:
> Unfortunately Amtrak can't be counted on in winter
> any more.
>
> Posted from Android

Or in Spring, Summer and Fall

Date: 03/20/23 20:37
Author: SanDiegan

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
>                   Not a joke, Amtrak is a
> 'idiotic' joke indeed. I doubt we will ever spend
> money on Amtrak again.Train may or may not run,
> probably be very late arriving where you are
> going, you will most likely miss your connection
> unless that train is not even running either,
> fares are jacked up and then lowered faster than
> you can plan a trip, dining?? HA! go to a
> convenience store and do better and at least the
> clerk will probably say thank you when you pay, oh
> you are in coach, well its a pisser you are there
> - no dining car for you most likely. Unhappy car
> attendant, good chance of that too.

I'm doing cruises instead of amtrak now. A lot more affordable and reliable.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds