Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Passenger Trains > Article on the future of the Amtrak NYSDOT Empire Corridor

Date: 03/17/23 16:59
Article on the future of the Amtrak NYSDOT Empire Corridor
Author: Passfanatic

While European high speed on the Empire Corridor isn't in the cards west of Schenctady, having 90 mph speeds with track capacity restored is still a big start. I would like to see that happen and if they can get it done in increments, that would be good. It would be nice to see more trips added to the Empire Corridor west of ALB.
https://www.wgrz.com/article/travel/new-yorks-high-speed-rail-plan-not-high-speed/71-c5a4dbe7-26d9-4354-9479-a837fd5beb18

Date: 03/18/23 05:26
Re: Article on the future of the Amtrak NYSDOT Empire Corridor
Author: amtrakbill

Nothing wrong with this plan

90mph trains along with frequent and reliable trains will make for a cost effective approach to making this an excellent corridor

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/18/23 06:44
Re: Article on the future of the Amtrak NYSDOT Empire Corridor
Author: Passfanatic

The 90B plan is a fine compromise. Between Niagara Falls, NY and NY Penn Sation-that travel time would be a little closer to that of driving. Under normal traffic conditions, google maps is showing 6 hrs and 15 minutes between Midtown Manhattan and Niagara Falls, NY. Now I doubt that most people do the drive between Midtown Manhattan and Niagara Falls in that amount of time, factoring in traffic along the way plus stopping for food and fuel. Even now, the 80 mph speed limit west of Hoffmans isn't horrible. Yes we want to see it raised to at least 90 and CSX and NYSDOT would probably say yes to that.

Not only is the added track capacity critical for a faster travel time on the Empire Corridor west of ALB. There are proposals to build high level platforms at stations, move station locations, and add second platforms. For example, I believe that part of the 90B plan is to relocate the Amsterdam Station to the Downtown area. A second platform at Syracuse Station is certainly in the cards-one of the highest ridership stations west of ALB.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0269 seconds