Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Passenger Trains > heavyweight Pullman car Question

Date: 05/23/23 14:57
heavyweight Pullman car Question
Author: ApproachCircuit

I came  across  a reference to a Pullman car with the following accomodations: 6S, 2DB, 2C and 1DR. (Heavyweight)

I think this was an effort by Pullman to experiment with different room types as the lightweight streamline cars started rolling off the production lines.

Is there such a car still in existence, maybe at a museum?
thanks

Date: 05/23/23 15:14
Re: heavyweight Pullman car Question
Author: crazy_train_999

Per a Trainorders.com post from Art House dated 07/16/06 called "C&O Heavyweight Pullmans in 1950--A Roster," apparently C&O had at least 3 cars of this configuration in their heavyweight sleeping car fleet - Carters Grove, Kanawha, and Tuckahoe.  Not sure if any are still around, though.  Would be interested to hear if PRR or other roads ordered cars in this configuration.  Good luck with your research!  

Date: 05/23/23 15:14
Author: Notch7

I'm a Pullman car fan, but I missed that one.  Sounds interesting.

Date: 05/23/23 15:38
Author: ts1457

crazy_train_999 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Per a Trainorders.com post from Art House dated
> 07/16/06 called "C&O Heavyweight Pullmans in
> 1950--A Roster," apparently C&O had at least 3
> cars of this configuration in their heavyweight
> sleeping car fleet - Carters Grove, Kanawha, and
> Tuckahoe.  Not sure if any are still around,
> though.  Would be interested to hear if PRR or
> other roads ordered cars in this configuration. 
> Good luck with your research!  

Only five cars originally built in the 1910s for C&O service with 6 sections and 5 compartments.. Four were rebuilt in 1933 to change three of the compartments to a drawing room and two double bedrooms. Generally used on lines to Hot Springs, VA and White Sulfur Springs, WV.

Kanawha and Tuckahoe went to NdeM in 1950 and Carters Grove scrapped sometime after 1957. Apparently Hot Springs is still in existence, but not in a very good state.

While many HW cars were rebuilt with enclosed rooms for the reason cited, I think these were done to allow C&O to have a wider variety of accommodations for the resorts served.

Date: 05/23/23 19:01
Author: illini73

ts1457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Apparently Hot Springs is still in existence, but not in a very good state.

Car was renamed "Fort Eustis" and has moved around quite a bit.  Latest rumor has it at the San Antonio Railroad Heritage Museum.  See thread from earlier this year:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,5660570

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0316 seconds