Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Passenger Trains > Lake Shore Limited at 5 coaches

Date: 05/24/23 06:24
Lake Shore Limited at 5 coaches
Author: lordsigma

I’m aboard the Lake Shore Limited today. There is a third New York coach - total 5 coaches.

Date: 05/24/23 07:30
Re: Lake Shore Limited at 5 coaches
Author: joemvcnj

Nice, though pre-pandemic was 6. 
Adirondack now has a 4th coach, another Amfleet-2.
Far too many are still in Corrior services while Horizons lay idle in Beech Grove, and Amfleet-1 in Chicago should be cascaded back east. 

Date: 05/24/23 07:54
Author: alan2955

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice, though pre-pandemic was 6. 
> Adirondack now has a 4th coach, another
> Amfleet-2.
> Far too many are still in Corrior services while
> Horizons lay idle in Beech Grove, and Amfleet-1 in
> Chicago should be cascaded back east. 

Meanwhile, for some reason, the cardinal is limping along with two coaches, even as summer season approaches. It’s disgraceful that Amtrak refuses to put a third coach on this train. Smells like deliberate sabotage.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/24/23 07:56
Author: DavidP

Will be interesting to see if the extra coach continues next week, or if it's just a Memorial Day weekend thing.  Another thread mentions the Cap having two sleepers and two coaches, while earlier in the week there was just one of each.

Dave

Date: 05/24/23 08:44
Author: Flyer92122

It's interesting how the cars can appear when management wants them to... 

Date: 05/24/23 12:56
Author: twropr

48 by the Fairport, NY cam this morning also had a 5th coach.  Some Lake Shores have a third engine
because Rensselar (Albany) is starting to do some of the repair work on P42s that had been performed
at Chicago
Andy

Date: 05/24/23 15:12
Author: jp1822

Flyer92122 Wrote:
> It's interesting how the cars can appear when
> management wants them to... 

Isn't that amazing! 

Date: 05/25/23 05:23

So that's 5 Amfleet-2 coaches pulled out of hat:  3 for Lake Shore, 2 for Adirondack. Even more amazing. 

Date: 05/25/23 06:35
Author: Jishnu

joemvcnj Wrote:
> So that's 5 Amfleet-2 coaches pulled out of hat: 
> 3 for Lake Shore, 2 for Adirondack. Even more
> amazing. 

Or Beech Grove and Hialeah finally starting to churn out serviced/PM-ed cars at a faster rate as the case may be. ;)

Date: 05/25/23 07:46
Author: randgust

Yeah, I was on 49/449 on Monday and it appeared to have the two Bostons and three New Yorks although I won't swear to that.

I will tell you that the train was darn full.   Especially on the outbound Friday trip on 48, they had to seat one party in the cafe for a couple stops.

My 'guess' is that with schedule cutbacks on the NEC that there's a couple coaches available that are being diverted to Long Distance, but that's just a guess.   I really do question their accounting on the LD services when there's not enough cars, trains, or Superliners and they are complaining about ridership drops on the corridor due to remote working.  I think it's real, and 'maybe' they are just catching on.   But the Lake Shore is already getting close to max length, and the platform problems at Depew have now made it into a three-stop station to handle the Boston sleeper and coach, NY coach, and NY sleepers.

Date: 05/25/23 07:59

Or Venture cars bumped a few Amflleet-2's out of Chicago Corridors. 

Date: 05/25/23 08:30

Lake Shore normally has 6 coaches in the summer and winter holidays. Anderson yanked the Boston baggage car in 2018. That would have been an ideal place to run the bag-dorms. 

Date: 05/26/23 16:55
Author: ProAmtrak

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Lake Shore normally has 6 coaches in the summer
> and winter holidays. Anderson yanked the Boston
> baggage car in 2018. That would have been an ideal
> place to run the bag-dorms. 

The thing is no thanks to him things haven't gotten that much better for Amtrak, his worse move was trying to split the Chief and claimed he was going by the rules!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds