Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Passenger Trains > california Zephyr Trivia

Date: 05/24/23 10:40
california Zephyr Trivia
Author: ApproachCircuit

Yes a piece of Trivia and  interesting but I question the judgement. 
What do you think? Were they correct in making that call?

OK here it is and it concerns equipment.
Back when the 3 RR's involved in formulating the Zwphyr concerning schedule, route, ete, etc and etc they made an equipment call about the Pullman accomodations.
" The three RR'S seriously considered Duplex Roomettes but eventually decided against them, largely because of " The Unpleasant  Exterior  Appearance of the
Irregular Window Pattern"!!
Do you think that the addition of Duplex Roomettes would affect the public's perception of the CZ?? Would the irregular window pattern effect revenue or the trains popularity?
Could the CZ's service life be extended with  the more economical  Duplex roomettes added to the consist?   Maybe?

thanks

Date: 05/24/23 10:47
Re: california Zephyr Trivia
Author: ts1457

For what it is worth, the Denver Zephyr later received Slumbercoaches.

Date: 05/24/23 11:06
Author: joemvcnj

I never heard of that story before. Dome car windows, not looking at the dome itself, are also rather irregular.

Date: 05/24/23 11:20
Author: WP17

ApproachCircuit Wrote in part:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> OK here it is and it concerns equipment.
> Back when the 3 RR's involved in formulating the
> Zwphyr concerning schedule, route, ete, etc and
> etc they made an equipment call about the Pullman
> accomodations.
> " The three RR'S seriously considered Duplex
> Roomettes but eventually decided against them,
> largely because of " The Unpleasant  Exterior
>  Appearance of the
> Irregular Window Pattern"!!

Could you please provide the source of that quote.
Thanks

WP17

Date: 05/24/23 13:59
Re: California Zephyr trivia
Author: Topfuel

WP17 Wrote:
> ApproachCircuit wrote in part:

> > OK here it is and it concerns equipment.
> > Back when the 3 RR's involved in formulating
> > the Zephyr concerning schedule, route, ete, etc and
> > etc they made an equipment call about the
> > Pullman accomodations.
> > "The three RR'S seriously considered Duplex
> > Roomettes but eventually decided against them,
> > largely because of " The Unpleasant  Exterior
> > Appearance of the Irregular Window Pattern"!!

> Could you please provide the source of that
> quote?  Thanks
>
> WP17

I have seen that quote written about the CZ before as well, but couldn't say off hand where I first saw it.  I believe it though, as the RR's were very particular about the appearance of their trains in the initial post-war era.  

Whether those "upstairs/downstairs" windows are objectionable is a matter of opinion, but I do believe that it is one reason why the 3 CZ RR's did not choose duplex roomettes for the CZ sleepers.

Note that duplex roomettes were more or less a replacement for open-section space, as they were the least-expensive accomodations after open sections.  Sections fell into disfavor once private rooms became common.  As already noted, the CZ 16 section cars were taken out of regular service after a few years, and held for extra and oveflow use until finally converting them to coaches in the early 1960's like some other RR's did.

Date: 05/24/23 14:10
Author: TomG

Yes I have read there was a large consideration placed on window lines and aesthetics. But I have not read anything on alternate sleeper choices. The sleeper choice would not have any bearing on the end of service. WP had long complained aboit the distribution of profits based on the operation ratio designed by Burlington. Equipment replacement was coming and the Myron Christy era leadership sought more profitable freight spending than dying passenger business. Even though all 3 railroads were involved, CB&Q held the reins.

Date: 05/24/23 14:51
Author: Magritte55

I think the post-war Broadway Limited had cars with duplex rooms.  I guess taste varies!! 

Date: 05/24/23 15:44
Author: PHall

Wasn't the California Zephyr seen more as a "Land Cruise" then as pure transportation? The five domes were there so the passengers could see the scenery. It was a major selling point in their advertising.

Date: 05/24/23 19:59
Author: ApproachCircuit

The true story about the unpleasant window line put forth by adding Duplex cars to the CZ comes from no less than the "Horses Mouth":

Karl R Zimmermann's excellent and encyclopedic study of the entire life of the CZ Zephyr.
Copyright  1972.

" The Story of the California Zephyr"

Date: 05/25/23 15:15
Author: BrynMawr

The Fed Gov would only pay for an open berth for civil servants on expense accounts.    RRs that advertised "all room" trains ate the differential on the fares.   D&RGW which bought diverted C&O 10-6s spent to downgrade 5 roomettes to sections.  

Date: 05/25/23 15:40
Author: PHall

BrynMawr Wrote:
> The Fed Gov would only pay for an open berth for
> civil servants on expense accounts.    RRs that
> advertised "all room" trains ate the differential
> on the fares.   D&RGW which bought diverted C&O
> 10-6s spent to downgrade 5 roomettes to
> sections.  

But those cars were not used on the CZ.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1345 seconds