Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Passenger Trains > Dirty Cars

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/19/24 12:29
Dirty Cars
Author: POW

I assure you I write the following not to pat myself on the back. I just want to illustrate that pride in ones work is not completely dead. I had it then and I still do. Back when I was about 21 years old I was working as a draftsman and going to college majoring in Engineering.
I won’t go into details but some drawings I was working on became damaged. I went into the manager’s office, told him what had happened and that I would be staying over with no pay as many days as it took to do the drawings over. 
Four years later, when things were not going well where I was working, I called the manager to see if I could return. His reply was how soon you can start (at higher pay and status as I then had two degrees).
Too bad Amtrak management settle for substandard performance but it is indicative of lack of pride in their work. There is no excuse for dirty windows. If the car washer is down, which it should not be, buckets, water hoses, mops and squeegees will still do the job.
I don’t know how many readers are familiar with Steelcase, an office furniture manufacturer, but they never send  out a dirty truck & trailer.

Date: 02/19/24 12:53
Re: Dirty Cars
Author: ronald321

POW

You are so right"!

No responsible management would allow this to go on -- but, AmManagement dose.

As to why Gardner dose nothing about this  -- my answer  has always been -- to cut cost to ensure his bonus.

Some train fans on here object to this -- and say things like-- passengers don't look out of the window anyway.

I guess nothing can be done until Gardner/Harris are replaced with management that cares about the passenger's experience.

Date: 02/19/24 14:31
Author: ClubCar

ronald321 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> POW
>
> You are so right"!
>
> No responsible management would allow this to go
> on -- but, AmManagement dose.
>
> As to why Gardner dose nothing about this  -- my
> answer  has always been -- to cut cost to ensure
> his bonus.
>
> Some train fans on here object to this -- and say
> things like-- passengers don't look out of the
> window anyway.
>
> I guess nothing can be done until Gardner/Harris
> are replaced with management that cares about the
> passenger's experience.

And I have been saying this for months, Gardner and his cronies must be replaced ASAP.  No excuses, he is not and has not done his job period.  Dirty windows are just part of the problem, but small in comparison to all the equipment and locomotive failures.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 02/19/24 14:56
Author: asheldrake

I would add to the Steelcase example the Rick Franklin Corporation/Albany & Eastern Railroad.   Dirty trucks, maybe, just maybe, also passenger trains, are a VERY poor advertisement.  Arlen

Date: 02/19/24 15:00
Author: ssarcadia

Many companies from airlines to trucking companies to better run railways in other countries will not send out filthy equipment.  What no one ever gets is Amtrak will never ever care.  They do not have to and they never will.  No matter how much money you give them, it does not matter.  I lived in Chicago for years and would walk through Union Station which by then Amtrak owned and managed, as well as they 'manage' anything.  Two of the overhead direction signs had Amtrak spelled 'Amtrack' for years.  When you cannot get your name right in a building you own and control, you cannot get anything right.  Did no one including the overpaid execs passing through here never notice this?

Similarly, I remember years ago when they eliminated toast in long-haul dining cars on account of the toasters being stolen and it requiring too many different types of bread to be stocked.  Guess what?  When you cannot manage toast, you cannot manage anything like high speed rail, equipment orders, marketing, a website that works, etc.

It is just hopeless and always will be when things that cost no money, like a sign spelled properly, cannot be 'managed'.

Date: 02/19/24 15:21
Author: joemvcnj

Flixbus owns Greyhound and is as mizerly as they get. They wash their buses. 

Date: 02/19/24 15:46
Author: TomG

Wow another comparison to trucks. Why dont you guys write Amtrak and suggest they just drive their trains through the hundreds of truck washes across the country.

Amtrak is o government operation, run by politicians overseen by politicians. While I can't stand that its running dirty trains, getting anything done can be impossible. Blame yourselves for the people you place in office. Our government is so screwed up. I have been trying to buy soap and a wash brush for 7 months and still not even close to getting them due to all the stupid steps and hoops and people and committees and only able to buy from a disabled veteran, woman, minority or politically favored organization.

You must separate free world thinking, from mired down government operations. It really does get complicated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/24 16:08 by TomG.

Date: 02/19/24 16:18
Author: amtrakbill

It’s a cultural issue

Takes time but begins at the top

Mr Harris and Mr Gardner can start the change by going to Chicago, put on some work clothes and start washing windows for a half a day. Then they need to let management in Chicago know that they expect them to continue the tradition and report on every car that gets cleaned

Repeat this in other trouble locations

The culture will change and if you can measure it you can change it

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/24 16:24 by amtrakbill.

Date: 02/19/24 16:40
Author: BrynMawr

Yes, getting the desk jockeys  into steel toes and hard hats to actually do something would be very useful. 
About the toasters being swiped, there is a very simple solution.  Given that AMT's on board electricity includes higher voltage, get toasters only fit for high voltage,rewire the assigned plugs in the kitchens.   Think back to the NYC IND Subway.  When built, ALL of the lightbulbs anywhere passengers could reach--low ceilings in stations, the first 900 cars,were all left hand thread.  pilferage pointless. 
There are most always solutions but only if one wants to succeed.  
As to gummint v private sector,  bleepheads in charge are bleepheads whether hiredby hedgefunds or crookedpols. 

Date: 02/19/24 17:17

TomG

I agree with you about the mess we're in in DC.

But, what really discourages me is -- yes, Amtrak is a Government Organization--but, this
same Gov. Org. used to run clean trains, with full dining service;  didn't remove lounge cars from popular trains---AND, with
a lot less funding than Gardner has.

And my view is,  the Government doesn't  "' run"  Amtrak--it finance it  (generously).--Congress did it's job.

Gardner etc., run it   AmManagement is responsible for all this downgrading -- they have plenty of money to run Amtrak properly..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/24 18:09 by ronald321.

Date: 02/19/24 19:15
Author: jcaestecker

Govt can't do anything well because they are not in business with a profit motive to drive excellence.

ATK sucks, despite some employees who do well, and will continue to do so because the leadership is not motivated to encourage high acheivement.  I don't know if the unions are interested in upping their game, but perhaps some members of the crafts here on TO would be willing to voice their opinions.

-John

Date: 02/19/24 20:05
Author: sethamtrak

Pics of the Hiawatha today. 

Date: 02/19/24 21:56
Author: PHall

The only mystery to me is why you guys think changing the political appointees will change anything. It's the "professionals" who are there no matter which party is running the show who run the day to day operations.

Date: 02/19/24 23:30
Author: Highspeed

BrynMawr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, getting the desk jockeys  into steel toes
> and hard hats to actually do something would be
> very useful. 

What would be more useful than trying to get the top bosses into steel toes & hard hats?

Hire someone who started in hard hats & steel toes! Then when they get promoted to the front office, maybe they would already understand what it is we do at Amtrak.

Running a railroad? Hire a Rail!

Date: 02/20/24 00:03
Author: mp51w

I cleaned 4 lower level windows on the 311 coach tonight!

Date: 02/20/24 03:44
Author: Englewood

Can amtrak hire a vp in charge of washing  ?       sarcasm

Date: 02/20/24 05:08
Author: UP951West

Unions protecting the lazy . 

Date: 02/20/24 06:45

I wish I could agree with those who say --"Government Can't run anything right"  
It's an "easy answer" as to why Amtrak is run so poorly.

But then, I look around the world and see all the excellent passenger trains which are Government run.
Apparently, "Government run" passenger trains works very well all over the world.

I just can't blame a Congressman in Florida for dirty windows in Milwaukee, for example.  It has to be
a bungling  AmManagement headed up by Gardner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/24 12:54 by ronald321.

Date: 02/20/24 07:00
Author: joemvcnj

Amtrak's so-called top management all came from the private sector (and act like it). 

Date: 02/20/24 07:34
Re: Dirty Cars - Not in Switzerland
Author: mp208

Switzerland runs very few passenger trains at night from 11p to 6a.  All trains have all car's windows washed by hand during that time no matter where they are dormant,  Been there eight times, and have pics to prove it.. Switzerland is as clean as Disneyland!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1104 seconds