Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Passenger Trains > Secaucus Jct Transfer Times

Date: 12/24/03 10:17
Secaucus Jct Transfer Times
Author: Lackawanna484

NJT's new transfer point in the NJ meadows allows NYC commuters to switch from NEC trains to Bergen County, Pascack, and Erie Main Line trains.

I noticed the transfer times allowed for the special holiday trains are pretty tight, ranging from 9 minutes to 14 minutes. There are suggested connections (take North Jersey Coast Train x at y time, transfer to Bergen County Train A at B time.

It looks like NJT people were thinking ahead, since many shoppers and commuters may not be familiar with the arrangements are special trains

Date: 12/24/03 16:23
Re: Amtrak Secaucus Jct Transfer?
Author: monaddave

So a guy riding Amtrak eastbound would have to get off at Newark and get a NJT train to Secaucus to transfer to the Bergan Co Line?

Can one still ride PATH, Newark to Hoboken? (Been a few years since I last rode).

A 14 minute delay for connection? I suppose they chase you inside if you hang around too long waiting for a "connection". Opps I missed that one, got to wait one more trian?
Dave in Msla

Date: 12/24/03 18:09

monaddave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So a guy riding Amtrak eastbound would have to get
> off at Newark and get a NJT train to Secaucus to
> transfer to the Bergan Co Line?

YES

>
> Can one still ride PATH, Newark to Hoboken?
> (Been a few years since I last rode).
>

Also YES. If you take an inbound Bergen County train past Secaucus Jct, it will take you to Hoboken/ You can take PATH to Newark - Penn and come back out on an NJT train to Secaucus.

> A 14 minute delay for connection? I suppose they
> chase you inside if you hang around too long
> waiting for a "connection". Opps I missed that
> one, got to wait one more trian?
> Dave in Msla

It's actually a bit of a hike. The Bergen County etc trains are on ground level, about sixty feet down. There's an escelator to the main concourse, and then another one up to the NJT/ NEC level. Plus a fare gate / inspector. Nine minutes might be tough for some of us who are not as quick as we used to be. 14 minutes should be OK.

If you're in Missoula, that's wonderful. Nice people, great place, abundant trains.

Date: 12/27/03 08:41

Lackawanna484 writes...
> If you're in Missoula, that's wonderful. Nice
> people, great place, abundant trains.

Yes, from Missoula. Thinking about a trip back Jersey way this year. May ride Amtrak, may have to fly to Newark and make a connection on whatever they call the shuttle between the airport and Newark-Penn. Would like to try and ride the new connection between the DLW Newark Branch and Boonton line, among other things.
Dave

Date: 12/28/03 09:34

A new loop trip is easy to do in NJ now. Your routing is a little trickier.

I'd take the AirTrain monrail to Airport station on the NEC. Buy a ticket for Newark Penn.

Change there to PATH for World Trade Center, ride the train to WTC. You'll pass the relay track where serviced CSX UP BN engines wait, PATH shops, and the NJT Meadows shop. Take a HOB train back to Hoboken.

Take the next train to Secaucus (Pascack, Main Line, Bergen Line), changing there for a trip out to Newark Broad (Morristown Line, Montclair or Gladstone trains). That will give you the new transfer station and a ride down the Kearny Midtown westbound ramp.

You can buy a ticket at Newark Broad to Newark Airport (prob charge fare to NYC), change again at Secaucus and get a ride up the eastbound Kearny ramp. If you have time, you can ride a train out thru the new (only 70 years in the making) cut in Montclair and ride the new electric section there, too.

I'm sure there are other ways to make this trip, but this looks like it would be a full afternoon.

Date: 12/28/03 10:58

Lackawanna484 writes...
> I'd take the AirTrain monrail to Airport station
> on the NEC. Buy a ticket for Newark Penn.
Thanks. How much is AirTrain?

> Change there to PATH for World Trade Center,
> ride the train to WTC. You'll pass the relay track
> where serviced CSX UP BN engines wait, PATH shops,
> and the NJT Meadows shop. Take a HOB train back to
> Hoboken.
I used to do this as a kid during school vacations, except we always changed at Exchange Place. I understand that may be closed? If you go all the way to WTC, don't you have to buy another fare back west?

Thanks for all the other hints. I most likely will do the AirTrain from the airport (EWK?) and straight to a Bergan County train for Fair Lawn. Then do all those other trips another day.

I also understand one can now use a AirTrain from JFK to hook up with LIRR, etc, to get to the city?
Dave in Msla

Date: 12/28/03 16:39

Yes. LIRR station in Jamaica and the E train Archer avenue station are adjacent to the JFK Air train.

If you take the Newark airport airtrain to the NEC, take the NJT train to Secaucus Junction, where you can catch the train to Fair Lawn. Check the schedules, service to Fair Lawn is limited on Saturday, and maybe non-existent on Sundays.

from JFK, take the airtrain to LIRR Jamaica. Take the train to PennStation NY, change to the NJT Northeast Corridor train. Change at Secaucus for Fair Lawn.

Date: 12/28/03 22:00

Thanks for the LIRR connection info.
Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0439 seconds