Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Railfan Trip Reports > Short Steamtown Stopover

Date: 10/24/07 03:07
Short Steamtown Stopover
Author: bandob

Even when there is not time for a full visit, there are lots of photo opportunities at Steamtown National Historic Site, in Scranton, PA. We stopped for lunch at the adjacent Steamtown mall enroute home from New York State. Here's what was happening at Steamtown on Sunday, October 21.

B&O B

Date: 10/24/07 03:09
Re: Short Steamtown Stopover

And a few more. NKP #514 was pulling the yard shuttle, while #3254 prepared for the day's long excursion. The trolley was also running on the former Laurel Line.

B&O B

Date: 10/24/07 03:11

NKP "City of Lima" in the yards, and D-L 3000 was also parked.

B&O B

Date: 10/24/07 03:12

Before being spotted at the platform for boarding, #3254 did a run-by for the onlookers on the bridge. The walkway between Steamtown Mall and the park is a popular site to watch the trains, for both visitors and locals.

B&O B

Date: 10/24/07 05:29
Author: tviano

Will Steamtown ever get a locomotive from an American railroad company? I never understood this Canadian thing in a park funded by my tax dollars.

Date: 10/24/07 17:41

Well, I can't answer that. I do know that a B&M locomotive is reportedly is (or was) under restoration. But frankly, it is not an issue for me. CNR locomotives and CPR locomotives operated in the US, in Maine, VT, etc. and they are a delight to see, hear, ride behind, and photograph.

There are many worse ways to spend tax dollars, but let's not get into that here.

B&O B

Date: 10/26/07 20:11
Author: Guitarman

bandob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, I can't answer that. I do know that a B&M
> locomotive is reportedly is (or was) under
> restoration. But frankly, it is not an issue for
> me. CNR locomotives and CPR locomotives operated
> in the US, in Maine, VT, etc. and they are a
> delight to see, hear, ride behind, and photograph.
>
>
> There are many worse ways to spend tax dollars,
> but let's not get into that here.
>
> B&O B

Hey B&O B, I really enjoy all of your postings; thank you for sharing them with us. I would love to see the Reading 2124 restored and operated as this would be the correct locomotive for that area since it was a large part of the state of Pennsylvania. Just my 2 cents worth. Thanks again.

Date: 10/28/07 05:49

Thanks for the kind words, Guitarman. Hmm, I suspect you've been known to play that guitar on board rail excursions, perhaps accompanied by a couple of banjomen, and all wearing striped vests and straw hats. Am I correct?

B&O B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0897 seconds