Home Open Account Help 311 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Technical Quality vs Personal Relevance

Date: 11/23/12 09:23
Technical Quality vs Personal Relevance
Author: africansteam

Occasionally a photo or slide will come up on eBay that may not be of the highest quality but nevertheless contains an element of personal relevance. Such is the case of this photo of Brazilian Railway Preservation Society (ABPF) meter gauge 2-8-0 no. 215 on a bridge with two wooden coaches. I rode the line behind the 215 in 1984, but do not remember the river crossing.

The slide is slightly soft but the image was taken in lovely light. And, if converted to sepia reverts to a timeless image of Brazilian Railroading.

Cheers,
Jack

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/12 09:33 by africansteam.

Date: 11/23/12 09:37
Re: Technical Quality vs Personal Relevance
Author: march_hare

Agreed, totally. I've bought several not quite perfect pre-Conrail images that spoke to me, often because they were scenes that I saw but did not record myself.

Great sepia conversion, BTW

Date: 11/23/12 17:20
Author: odub

Absolutely correct. There are images posted here that, although technically mediocre or worse, convey something to the poster - and quite likely to others on TO -that makes them important. A lot of us started taking pictures years ago with low end equipment and had them processed by the corner drugstore. The images mean a lot to us - quality be damned.

Don
Yreka

Date: 11/24/12 03:31
Author: Focalplane

The sepia tone really does make a big (positive) difference. It reminds me of old photos hanging in various African locations (Antonetti's Restaurant in Pointe Noire immediately comes to mind).

Date: 11/24/12 05:57
Author: RNinRVR

Are you sure that is not a 4-6-0? The wheel diameter on the second wheel set is almost the same size as the lead pony truck and a lot smaller then the driver behind it.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 11/24/12 07:22
Author: YG

Both images are beautiful. Thanks for sharing your find.

Steve Mitchell
http://www.yardgoatimages.com

Date: 11/24/12 07:33
Author: africansteam

RNinRVR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you sure that is not a 4-6-0?

Good call, Sharon. My ageing brain tripped me up again. Yes, she is a 4-6-0. Ex Viacao Ferrovia Cento Oeste. BLW C/N 37710 of 1912.

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 11/24/12 20:15
Author: oldhound

Jack, I think both shots are nice. Also, the images that we remember tend to be the ones with the emotional component, so I think it is great that you buy/take what appeals to you, and if you share 'em, we get the benefit as well.

Thanks, eh.
Karl

Date: 11/24/12 21:04
Author: DWBrown

Then it is 30 inch gauge and the bridge is about halfway from Sao Joa del Rey to Tridente the end of the former mainline. I did a runby on the bridge with a tour in 2002. I may be wrong.

Dale Brown

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds