Home Open Account Help 326 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Transnordestina RR in NE Brazil?

Date: 01/10/17 07:09
Transnordestina RR in NE Brazil?
Author: Auburnrail

Read a brief picture essay titled "RR to Nowhere," showing an ambitious building program with apparently a rock crushing plant for ballast and concrete ties on what appeared to be a unit train.
Any information on this RR or is this similar to Alaska's "Bridge to Nowhere," which was built for some dubious benefit pushed by local Congressional representation?
Thanks in advance,
George Andrassy

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/10/17 09:04
Re: Transnordestina RR in NE Brazil?
Author: pedrop

Try this address 
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-infrastructure-railway-idUSKBN1441XO

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 01/10/17 09:43
Author: Auburnrail

Thank you for the reference.
Kind of sounds like High Speed Rail project here in California.
George Andrassy

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/29/17 20:41
Author: JLinDE

My late response to this interesting topic. I had trouble with the link so do not know if it had a map showing where this RR was planned. Australia, Brazil, China, USA and Canada all have between 3.0 and 3.9 million Square miles. Of them China has the most people, but USA the largest RR network. The only county larger is Russia, with an extensive RR network. But Brazil has railways but no network, ie, It's railroads do not interconnect that much, are different gauges, and almost all were built to go from inland mineral or agricultural production areas to the coast for exports. There is virtually no passenger service except for commuter in the few big cities and EFVM's unique train. Some of the busiest RRs are owned or controlled by mining interests. And most of Brazil's population is concentrated in the favorable climate of the southern states. so it probably does not really need one now until there is some demand for huge trade to be between the north and the south and east and west. Railroads need a lot of high traffic/tonnage volumes to support their investment. No big markets = no trains.  And if passenger rail would be desired in the future, it would be totally logical to be of very high speed nature on new alignment connecting the chosen major cities. I say this knowing Brazil has some very modern freight RRs as Pedrop's post show, and as do some DVD programs I've purchased. But it has a different economic climate than other countries of similar size. 

As a side, IMHO, the most railway dependent country in the world is India, at 1.3mil sq mi and a population over 1.3 billion 15 years ago and growing. It does have a National Railway network, connecting all major places, but inefficient by the standards of the above named countries.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds