Home Open Account Help 307 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Beilhack Snow clearer sold to Japan Rail?-not red lobster units

Date: 02/08/17 06:51
Beilhack Snow clearer sold to Japan Rail?-not red lobster units
Author: leonz

Greetings,

I am looking for still photos or operating photos of the Narrow Gauge
self propelled Beilhack Snow clearer sold to japan. I am unsure as to whether
it is used on Hokkaido Iland or not.

Date: 02/08/17 19:04
Re: Beilhack Snow clearer sold to Japan Rail?-not red lobster uni
Author: cchan006

leonz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Greetings,
>
> I am looking for still photos or operating photos
> of the Narrow Gauge
> self propelled Beilhack Snow clearer sold to
> japan. I am unsure as to whether
> it is used on Hokkaido Iland or not.

Japan Sea side of Honshu can get some nasty snowfalls, so I suspect deployment of snow fighting equipment in Japan is not limited to Hokkaido.

You asked a similar question 4 years ago:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,2971373

My quick research says JR Group of railroads have obsoleted the diesel-locomotive snow fighters like the DD-14, DD-17/DD-19 and DD-53. I assume these are what you refer to as the "red lobster" units?

Smaller self-propelled machines have replaced the modified locomotives. While the snow removal mechanism doesn't look like "Beilhack style," I found some action photos of ENR-1000s in action:

http://plaplatrain.web.fc2.com/contens5-2enr.html

ENR-1000s can have different snow removal attachments (plow or rotary) so the Belihack style twin rotaries in theory can be attached to it as well?

Date: 02/09/17 15:26
Re: Beilhack Snow clearer sold to Japan Rail?-not red lobster uni
Author: leonz

Greetings cchan,

Thanks much for the link I always start drooling when I see well made snow removal equipment.

The Beilhacks are designed as either a "dedicated snow clearer with snow only as its job in a self propelled unit OR
they are purchased as multipurpose MOW vehicles and the snow clearing heads, mounting frame and separate 
power unit are lowered on to the MOW carrier and then the shunter/switcher/locomotive is ready to operate in snow service.

I will have send a letter to Japan to ask about the Beilhack unit that was purchased.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds