Home Open Account Help 227 users online

International Railroad Discussion > On no.11 Up Yangon to Mandalay

Date: 02/20/17 09:15
On no.11 Up Yangon to Mandalay
Author: 86235

No.11 Up is the 06:00 Yangon to Mandalay which we rode earlier today. Tourist guidebooks, like Lonely Planet, are rather rude about Myanmar Railways ability to run trains. They shouldn't be, we left Yangon on the dot of 06:00 this morning, pulling up in Mandalay on the dot of 21:00. OK, it's not high speed rail, 400 miles in 15 hours isn't spectacular, but MR is a metre gauge network and the maximum speed is around 80 kph.

The first class fare is 9300 Kyats, just under $8!

The second picture is of the consists of the three daily trains between Yangon & Mandalay. No.11 is the lower train.

This is one of the Ordinary Class cars.

Date: 02/20/17 09:29
Re: On no.11 Up Yangon to Mandalay

Three shots of the vendors that kept us fed, watered and clothed! Yes, the woman behind the man in the first shot was selling shirts!

Of course some of the pre-cooked food was off limits, but there was plenty available that wasn't, so although there's no restaurant car you won't go hungry.

Date: 02/20/17 09:38
Author: cabsignaldrop

Neat! Thanks for sharing these photos and interesting info on a seldom covered operation.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/20/17 09:40
Author: Railbaron

Wait a minute - do they actually sell you "life insurance" as part of your ticket? That would make me wonder if I really wanted to ride that train.

Date: 02/20/17 09:43

Two more random shots from today's adventure, taken on my phone.

Japanese owned Myanmar Beer, brewed in Yangon, sponsors the Myanmar Football Association and the National team, it's emblazoned all over this Ordinary Class car.

Pulling in to one of the late afternoon stops, I guess we must have stopped about 20 times in total, including in the Pyongyang-like new capital which has a grandiose multi platform station in an overblown oriental totalitarian revival architectural style.

Date: 02/20/17 09:49

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait a minute - do they actually sell you "life
> insurance" as part of your ticket? That would make
> me wonder if I really wanted to ride that train.

I asked the guide whether there actually is life cover on every ticket, he said he didn't know.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds