Home Open Account Help 236 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Tokyo hot spots?

Date: 05/01/17 16:34
Tokyo hot spots?
Author: Soo715

I'm in Tokyo area for the first time for work but with some free time some days. Anybody got any recommendations for spots to watch the action around yards or junctions in the Tokyo area? I'm especially interested in seeing freight action as opposed to the many passenger trains. Thanks for any info!

Date: 05/01/17 19:46
Re: Tokyo hot spots?
Author: cchan006

There are many locations within Tokyo proper where you can watch the freights. Your best bet is probably Shin-Kawasaki (a.k.a. Shin-Tsurumi Signal Point), and you can get there by taking the Yokosuka Line or Shonan-Shinjuku Line. This would be located south of Tokyo, geographically. I posted a report from there few years ago:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3759879

If you already have knowledge on JR Freight trains, you'll understand the significance of seeing freights to/from Tokaido Line, Tohoku Line, and Chuo Line here, as well as freights in/out of Tokyo and Kawasaki freight terminals. Variety is decent, as you'll get more than the typical container trains - unit tank trains as well as marine container trains (40' and 20') are seen here, but you may need to do some research (JR Freight Timetable, in Japanese only) to catch them.

To north of Tokyo, the Keihin-Tohoku Line corridor (Higashi-Jujo is my favorite spot, which is on a curve) north of Tabata offers some freight action, but the passenger rail action on the triple double-track main is quite overwhelming. Most of the freights are going in/out of Sumidagawa freight terminal, which is located near the Minami-Senju Station on the Joban Line (NE Tokyo).

You can catch most of the train that goes to Shin-Kawasaki by going further north to Omiya, where the Musashino Line-bound freights haven't diverged away from the Keihin-Tohoku Line corridor yet. You can combine this with the visit to The Railway Museum, which is nearby.

Musashino Line is used by majority of freights that do not terminate at Sumidagawa freight terminal. There are two smaller freight terminals ("yards") along the Musashino Line, if you want to do a joyride/scouting.

Date: 05/06/17 02:39
Author: Stephenloco

Yes, Shin Kawasaki is a favourite of mine.

To see all types of JR East Shinkansan (at medium speed) I suggest Ukima-Funado Station on the Saikyo Line, is a good spot. The Shinkansen is adjacent to the local service here. The Saikyo line passes through Omiya, close to the Railway Museum (via the new shuttle)

Date: 05/06/17 19:42
Author: bakersfielddave

1 Tabata just north of the city on the Yamanote line

METS hotel top floors if staying there and freight trains usually stop tor a while you can view them from oover head road bridge up close

2 Kawasaki freight yard many tank car trains around here its a short private line to get there but in the metro area

3 Negishi station

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/17 19:43 by bakersfielddave.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0404 seconds