Home Open Account Help 298 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Hong Kong Disneyland

Date: 07/14/17 01:15
Hong Kong Disneyland
Author: wpamtk

Managed to visit Disneylands in Hong Kong and Shanghai on our trip to China. Hong Kong is very reminiscent of the original Anaheim park, while Shanghai is quite unique (and has no railroad).

You can reach Hong Kong Disneyland via a Metro branch that leaves the Tung Chung line at Sunny Bay. The cars have a definite Disney theme inside and out (photos 1-3).

Date: 07/14/17 01:20
Re: Hong Kong Disneyland

Hong Kong Disneyland is circled by a railroad, which uses internal-combustion-powered steam locomotive lookalikes. Loudspeakers emit a stream of classic steam engine sounds. A replica of Walt's "Lilly Belle" is in a glass case inside the Main Street station.

Date: 07/14/17 03:08
Author: andersonb109

Why no real steam as in the other parks? I just visited Paris Disney two weeks ago. I believe they were using real steam. However with only one train in operation, the excessive wait time made riding and a closer look nearly impossible.

Date: 07/14/17 08:17
Author: PERichardson

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why no real steam as in the other parks? I just
> visited Paris Disney two weeks ago. I believe they
> were using real steam. However with only one train
> in operation, the excessive wait time made riding
> and a closer look nearly impossible.

Quit whining. At least no safety vests in the cab.

Date: 07/14/17 14:45

HK DL (which opened in 2005) was built somewhat "on the cheap" during the Eisner administration, which is probably the reason for no actual steam. When things were expanded and embellished several years later, I suppose no one thought there was any reason to change it.

Date: 07/14/17 15:10
Author: usmc1401

Since Hong Kong is part of China for the last twenty years. If Disney wanted steam a few steam locomotives they could be sourced from the mainland China.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0475 seconds