Home Open Account Help 398 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Pedestrian Strike, Train Suite Shikishima

Date: 08/14/17 19:18
Pedestrian Strike, Train Suite Shikishima
Author: cchan006

Found an English article of an accident that happened almost 2 days ago (early morning, August 13, Japan Time):

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201708140025.html

Train was delayed for at least 2 1/2 hours. My speculation: the victim was probably drunk.

Date: 08/15/17 02:51
Re: Pedestrian Strike, Train Suite Shikishima
Author: andersonb109

The train has a large observation lounge with much glass at the FRONT of the train providing passengers an engineer's view. Had this been not a "pre-dawn" event, no doubt some would have witnessed this horrible event.

Date: 08/15/17 07:44
Author: cchan006

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The train has a large observation lounge with much
> glass at the FRONT of the train providing
> passengers an engineer's view. Had this been not a
> "pre-dawn" event, no doubt some would have
> witnessed this horrible event.

Had those luxury passengers witnessed it in daylight, let's hope they thought about what happens in their country on a regular basis: people getting struck off station platforms and other grade crossings due to suicides, public drunkness, and "distracted walking." For every visits to Japan I've made for the last 3 years, I have never failed to see Alerts (usually displayed on the LCD screen inside trains) of delays caused by pedestrian strikes, so they happen on a weekly basis at a minimum.

That means quite a few people witness horrific events over there.

I've never witnessed the horror firsthand, but have been in struck in trains due to delays caused a few trains ahead.

Date: 08/15/17 08:34
Author: kevink

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never witnessed the horror firsthand, but
> have been in struck in trains due to delays caused
> a few trains ahead.

Be thankful for that. I've both experiences and it's worse being on the train that struck the person. Even though none of us passengers had any control in the situation, there's something quite sobering about the event almost as if just being on that train makes one part of the instrument of death.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0401 seconds