Home Open Account Help 268 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Grindrod Locomotives liquidation Aucton

Date: 10/06/17 16:12
Grindrod Locomotives liquidation Aucton
Author: jmt

South African conglomerate Grindrod Limited, is liquidating Grindrod Locomotives Pty Ltd, after the subsidiary had losses of US$108 million over 3 FY

The Company was widely advertised, retrenched managers and staff are saying that Chinese and Russians were observed tyre kicking, but no offers

The Pretoria shops, in a former steel rolling mill are rented, so the entire contents, plus locos not needed by Grindrod's (still profitable) loco hire businesses are listed for sale
3 page list http://www.clearasset.co.za/auction/view/170?&p=1

Grindrod Locomotives (incorporating RRL acquired in 2014) assembled a total of 103 mainline locos 2011-2016 using kits supplied by NRE. 99 had 16-645, plus 4 with 7FDL-12 for Colombia. Some plated RRL, others Grindrod or NRE. Also 20+ critters, some with AC traction, which became gensets, when coupled in pairs, or triples

10 of these AC/AC part of a cancelled lease agreement with French logistics operator Bollore Group for use in Cameroon and Ivory Coast are interesting

Photo credit Grindrod Limited

Date: 10/06/17 17:49
Re: Grindrod Locomotives liquidation Aucton

The units for Colombia had 7FDL-12 engines with a EMD AR10 alternator

In transit in South Africa

Photo credit Vanguard South Africa

Date: 10/06/17 17:56

Grindrod locos with NRE plates

Date: 10/06/17 18:10

Critters

Photos off various Grindrod/GPR Leasing websites

Date: 10/07/17 08:05
Author: Waybiller

Interesting, at one time SITARAIL was very intent on standardizing on EMD products.

Date: 10/07/17 16:38
Author: BobP

Luv that tow truck warning sign.

Date: 10/11/17 09:20
Author: CPRR

BobP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Luv that tow truck warning sign.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide GORILLA?"

Date: 10/12/17 15:08
Author: ns1000

Interesting pics!!

Date: 10/27/17 07:06
Author: march_hare

I love that slogan "efficiency redefined". Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I've witnessed the "redefinition" of efficiency several times in my career, generally after "real" efficiency had proven too difficult to achieve.

Date: 10/28/17 14:14

Auction finalised, actual buyers still to be identified

There was a very detailed report on pricing circulated on a SA group

Only 4 of the (new/unused) GL30SC-AC (first photo above) sold @ US$335k each, the other 6 did not meet reserve

All other locos sold

Ex Australian G12C fetched US$153k, with GL26C realising around the US$150k figure

Realignment of private operators in South Africa rapid, with Sheltam, controlled by London managed private equity funds, re-branding to move into the void http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/business/single-view/view/traxtion-group-targets-african-rail-market.html

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1822 seconds