Home Open Account Help 351 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Dominican Republic Railroads

Date: 02/12/18 15:27
Dominican Republic Railroads
Author: MNR225

I'm traveling to the Dominican Republic. I would be interested hearing from anyone with experience photographing the metro in Santa Domingo and/or any of the sugar cane operations on the island?

Date: 02/12/18 19:26
Re: Dominican Republic Railroads
Author: jfrank39

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_the_Dominican_Republic

There are very few rail operations left in the DR. Santa Domingo metro is basically light rail. It's a poor country. Only rich countries can afford trains.

Date: 02/13/18 01:05
Author: andersonb109

Some of the "poor" countries seem to have more passenger trains than we do! I'm just back from Sri Lanka, definitely a poor or "S Hole" country. There are passenger trains everywhere with multiple daily departures.

Date: 02/13/18 06:05
Author: utwazoo

A huge sugar operation operates the Central Romana, located at La Romana. I think it's fairly close to Punta Cana, and can be reached with rental car. They have 18 GE 70 tonners, all rebuilt by GE with Caterpillar engines. They now have a large front radiator which alters their appearance. See February 2012 Trains magazine for an article titled "One Lump or Two" about the operation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/18 08:09 by utwazoo.

Date: 02/13/18 06:16
Author: CNStratford

Nice to read more up-to-date info from utwazoo. When my wife was in the Republic on a bird-watching expedition in 1980, she saw this map; however there was no steam and like all sugar railways, the trains only operated in cutting season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/18 06:17 by CNStratford.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2108 seconds