Home Open Account Help 385 users online

International Railroad Discussion > JRF "Ko-shu" railway transport of Keisei EMUs

Date: 09/12/18 01:47
JRF "Ko-shu" railway transport of Keisei EMUs
Author: Hiroshi

Lucky, I was able to capture "Ko-shu" railway transport of Keisei EMUs this afternoon.

Hiroshi

This train left Toyokawa (Nissha facility where the cars were built) at 11:57 on the 11th.
At 16:38 Arr. at Atami via Toyohashi, Nishi-Hamamatsu, Sizuoka-Kamotsu, Numazu,
At 20:28 Arr. at Yokohama-Hazawa
Left from Yokohama-Hazawa at 10:20 on the 12th.
Arr. at Shin-Tsume at 10:43
Left from Shin-Tsume at 11:22
Arr. at Zushi at 12:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/18 05:51 by Hiroshi.

Date: 09/12/18 21:19
Re: JRF "Ko-shu" railway transport of Keisei EMUs
Author: cchan006

Very nice catch! Thanks for posting the schedules at different locations.

Many people here on TO read your reports from Japan, but I'm waiting for them to start asking certain questions. That would demonstrate curiosity and engagement that would enhance their appreciation of your reports, as well as railfanning in Japan in general.

To get the most popular question out of the way, yup, this train ran on 1067mm gauge (3 1/2' gauge) tracks. :-)

Date: 09/13/18 07:25

A bit more explanation why it is unique. These brand-new Keisei cars are wearing provisional trucks running on the JR lines. At Zushi, these cars will be handed over to Keikyu using a connecting line (this is where no overhead wire, that is why you need a diesel engine instead of the electric locomotive). The provisional trucks will be replaced with actual trucks (because Keikyu-Toei-Keisei uses wider garage) at Keikyu facility.In this movement, two end cars were placed in the middle of the consist. It has to be corrected to make a full consist and thoroughly tested there (site acceptance test will be conducted) before the set makes another long journey home.The set of cars will run its power on Keikyu line to Sengakuji, then to Toei Asakusa line to Oshiaga where Keisei finally take over the set deadheading to Sougo-Sando facility.
Hiroshi

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice catch! Thanks for posting the schedules
> at different locations.
>
> Many people here on TO read your reports from
> Japan, but I'm waiting for them to start asking
> certain questions. That would demonstrate
> curiosity and engagement that would enhance their
> appreciation of your reports, as well as
> railfanning in Japan in general.
>
> To get the most popular question out of the way,
> yup, this train ran on 1067mm gauge (3 1/2' gauge)
> tracks. :-)

Date: 09/14/18 18:03
Author: 251F

Interestingly, Keisei was originally 1372mm (4' 6" Scotch gauge) until conversion in 1959 to 1435mm (4' 8½" Standard gauge).

d.

Date: 09/14/18 19:13

Yes, that happened.  Here is a bit of the background informtion on that matter:

A resolution was made between Keisei, Tokyo Government (Toei Asakusa line), and Keikyu to solve a problem of the joint operation among them.
As a result, Keisei, and Tokyo Government, and Keikyu began operating trains. 
This makes easier for people who arrive at Narita Internatinal Airport can take this joint operation trains to get to the Tokyo metro area including Haneda Airport or even to Yokohama, Yokosuka (where US Navy has a base).

Hope this helps,

251F Wrote:
> Interestingly, Keisei was originally 1372mm (4' 6"
> Scotch gauge) until conversion in 1959 to 1435mm
> (4' 8½" Standard gauge).
>
> d.

Date: 09/15/18 13:24

Thanks Hiroshi for the background.  I only knew of the gauge change but not the whole story behind it.

I rode the Keisei line in March for the first time from Narita Airport to Shizu (K32 志津駅) station.  I stayed with a friend who lives in Katori-shi, Chiba. 

Convenient that my Suica card works not just on JR but Keisei as well.

daniel

edited to add image of Suica card

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/18 15:58 by 251F.

Date: 09/15/18 17:39

“Suica” is a rechargeable contactless smart card, originally introduced on November 18, 2001. You can purchase it at JR EAST stations including Narita Airport Station.“Suica” can be, now, used interchangeably with other JR services including JR West's “ICOCA” in the Kansai (Osaka-Kyoto) area and Sanyo region including cities like Okayama, Hiroshima, and Yamaguchi Prefectures, and also with JR Central's “TOICA.”Moreover, it works with JR Kyushu's “SUGOCA,” Nishitetsu's Nimoca, and Fukuoka City Subway's Hayakaken area in Fukuoka City and its suburb areas.“Suica” has also been accepted as a form of electronic money for purchases at “KIOSKs” and stores, especially within train stations. Look for “Suica” signs at the stores you are visitng. Since Suica is interchangeable with Pasmo (see for the complete listing of companies and lines that accept Suica) in the greater Tokyo area, it is supported on virtually any train, tramway, and bus system.But be aware that there is some restrictions such as Shinkansen trains, as well as a few local buses..

Hope this helps.
Hiroshi

251F Wrote:
> Thanks Hiroshi for the background.  I only knew
> of the gauge change but not the whole story behind
> it.
>
> I rode the Keisei line in March for the first time
> from Narita Airport to Shizu (K32 志津駅)
> station.  I stayed with a friend who lives in
> Katori-shi, Chiba. 
>
> Convenient that my Suica card works not just on JR
> but Keisei as well.
>
> daniel
>
> edited to add image of Suica card

Date: 09/15/18 19:50

Hiroshi Wrote:

> But be aware that there is some restrictions such as
> Shinkansen trains, as well as a few local buses..
>
> Hope this helps.
> Hiroshi
>
The only place the Suica card (issued by JR East or East Japan Railway Company) has not worked when I've traveled in Japan was the Hiroshima Street Cars.  Suica worked fine on the legendary high priced Nagoya Municipal Subway 名古屋市営地下鉄.

A little more searching revealed "Suica" is an acronym for "Super Urban Intelligent CArd".  In japanese,  スイカ "suika" is a watermelon.  I still don't understand the penguin on the front of the Suica card.

For anyone traveling to Japan, this is a very convenient way to pre-pay transit fares.  A lot easier than the imposing fare maps at the train station, especially if they are not romajii (english equivalent).  And a big time saver when you encounter the throngs of people around the ticket machines especially during rush hour.  Suica cards, as I'm sure most of the other transit cards are rechargable at the train stations as well as convenience stores like Lawson's or Family Mart nationwide.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/downloads/pdf/suica2014.pdf

As Hiroshi points out, there are some limitations with smaller railways and bus companies, but for the most part, Suica or any of the other transit fare cards work nearly everywhere.  Plus, many vending machines now accept the transit card as payment. 
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html#category03

daniel

Date: 09/16/18 22:49

Originally, Chiharu Sakazaki had drawn this penguin for her picture book.  When JR East started marketing “Suica” IC card in 2001, it was looking for some character to represent the card.  It was designed as such a penguin from Antarctic had visited Tokyo and make use of this new IC card to ride trains without any hustle.  A term “Suica” is from “Sui sui Ikeru Card, literally means “smooth going with IC Card.” Yes, this abbreviation is a bit like “Suika” which means a water melon.JR East had no intend to use the penguin character further, but the marketing team decide to print it on “Suica” card.

Hope this helps.
Hiroshi

251F Wrote:
> Hiroshi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > But be aware that there is some restrictions
> such as
> > Shinkansen trains, as well as a few local
> buses..
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > Hiroshi
> >
> The only place the Suica card (issued by JR East
> or East Japan Railway Company) has not worked when
> I've traveled in Japan was the Hiroshima Street
> Cars.  Suica worked fine on the legendary high
> priced Nagoya Municipal Subway
> 名古屋市営地下鉄.
>
> A little more searching revealed "Suica" is an
> acronym for "Super Urban Intelligent CArd".  In
> japanese,  スイカ "suika" is a watermelon.  I
> still don't understand the penguin on the front of
> the Suica card.
>
> For anyone traveling to Japan, this is a very
> convenient way to pre-pay transit fares.  A lot
> easier than the imposing fare maps at the train
> station, especially if they are not romajii
> (english equivalent).  And a big time saver when
> you encounter the throngs of people around the
> ticket machines especially during rush hour. 
> Suica cards, as I'm sure most of the other transit
> cards are rechargable at the train stations as
> well as convenience stores like Lawson's or Family
> Mart nationwide.
> http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/downloads/pdf/suica2014.
> pdf
>
> As Hiroshi points out, there are some limitations
> with smaller railways and bus companies, but for
> the most part, Suica or any of the other transit
> fare cards work nearly everywhere.  Plus, many
> vending machines now accept the transit card as
> payment. 
> http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html#category
> 03
>
> daniel

Date: 10/03/18 03:42

There was another "Ko-shu" railway transport.  This time it was Keikyu EMUs.

Hiroshi

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1091 seconds