Home Open Account Help 338 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Stand back! (Japan 1990)

Date: 10/18/18 04:18
Stand back! (Japan 1990)
Author: Korigaoka1811

I took this picture in the mountains north of Kyoto in 1990 but I don't remember what station I was at..  This DMU express train must have come out of the tunnel too fast for me to set up for a good shot.  But I like this picture anyway because it reminds me that the Buttlet Trains weren't the only fast trains in Japan.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/18 04:47 by Korigaoka1811.

Date: 10/18/18 19:14
Re: Stand back! (Japan, 1990)
Author: cchan006

Thanks for posting the photo! If it's in the 1990s, then the DMU must have been the venerable Kiha 181 used for limited express trains. I made a special trip almost 15 years ago just to catch the 181 running as Limited Express "Isokaze" between Masuda and Shimonoseki. I think I posted a video of that on YouTube, but due to inactivity, it probably won't show up on any search engine easily. I did post a photo of the DMU in this thread about Myanmar:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,3422232,3422972#3422972

The station you were at is well known amongst the "Eki-tetsu" or station foamers in Japan: Hozukyo Station along JR West's San-in Line. I've yet to make a visit there (rode through it a few times), but it's on my list. Due to location and what you caught, your shot scores very high on the Nostalgia Scale.

Date: 10/19/18 04:35
Re: Stand back! (Japan, 1990)
Author: Korigaoka1811

cchan006 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for posting the photo! If it's in the
> 1990s, then the DMU must have been the venerable
> Kiha 181 used for limited express trains. I made a
> special trip almost 15 years ago just to catch the
> 181 running as Limited Express "Isokaze" between
> Masuda and Shimonoseki. I think I posted a video
> of that on YouTube, but due to inactivity, it
> probably won't show up on any search engine
> easily. I did post a photo of the DMU in this
> thread about Myanmar:
>
> https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?6,
> 3422232,3422972#3422972
>
> The station you were at is well known amongst the
> "Eki-tetsu" or station foamers in Japan: Hozukyo
> Station along JR West's San-in Line. I've yet to
> make a visit there (rode through it a few times),
> but it's on my list. Due to location and what you
> caught, your shot scores very high on the
> Nostalgia Scale.

Thanks again for the added information.

My wife and I were up from Hirakata visiting the area and I remember there was an abandoned line around there too, in a river valley.  Somewhere I have a picture of me standing by abandoned tracks with disconected signals and the tracks went into a tunnel in the background.  If I knew where the picture is, I'd post it and maybe you could tell me where I was!

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds