Home Open Account Help 184 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Indian train plows into crowd watching fireworks display...(link)

Date: 10/19/18 18:00
Indian train plows into crowd watching fireworks display...(link)
Author: DKay

Date: 10/20/18 04:42
Re: Indian train plows into crowd watching fireworks display...(l
Author: andersonb109

It is very common for people in India to be on the tracks. We saw people just walking along them, and then moving out of the way at the last minute to let a train pass. We also saw people cooking on the tracks and using the tracks in place of toilets. So not uncommon there. Again as here, the article seems to be blaming the train rather than the stupid people who apparently didn't understand what the tracks are used for. I wonder how long the train was delayed? 

Date: 10/20/18 17:17
Author: DKay

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is very common for people in India to be on the
> tracks. We saw people just walking along them, and
> then moving out of the way at the last minute to
> let a train pass. We also saw people cooking on
> the tracks and using the tracks in place of
> toilets. So not uncommon there. Again as here, the
> article seems to be blaming the train rather than
> the stupid people who apparently didn't understand
> what the tracks are used for. I wonder how long
> the train was delayed? 

I got that impression also.The TV news last night said the train failed to stop after the incident.I find that hard to believe,given the huge number people on the tracks.They mentioned the  amount of fatalities on Indian railroads anually,it was a huge number.
Regards,dK

Date: 10/21/18 14:32
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Aftermath, survivors:
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/india-train-fireworks?family=editorial&phrase=india%20train%20fireworks&sort=best#license
"Amritsar Train Accident: At Least 61 Dead; Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh Orders Magisterial Inquiry
AMRITSAR, INDIA - OCTOBER 20: Police record statement of victims of a train accident at Joda Phatak being treated, in Civil Hospital, on October 20, 2018 in Amritsar, India. A train plowed into a crowd that had spilled over to a railway track to watch Dussehra fireworks on the outskirts of Amritsar in Punjab, killing at least 61 people. About 72 others are reported to be injured, many of them seriously. Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh announced compensation of Rs five lakh each to the kin of the deceased in the Amritsar train accident Friday and said he was rushing to the spot to personally supervise rescue and relief operations. (Photo by Sameer Sehgal/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)"

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds