Home Open Account Help 385 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Commemorating 100 years of Japanese railways -- 1972

Date: 11/20/18 04:35
Commemorating 100 years of Japanese railways -- 1972
Author: Korigaoka1811

Something I've never seen posted on TO, a stamp.  But I thought this was a rather attractive stamp from my wife's old collection when she was a young girl . . .  so I've posted it.

John

Date: 11/20/18 20:41
Re: Commemorating 100 years of Japanese railways -- 1972
Author: cchan006

Thanks for posting the image of the stamp. Based on quick research, Japan Post issued 2 other stamps commemorating the country's 100 years of railroading. One has an elevated view of the Shinkansen, and the other has a roster shot of the venerable C62 (4-6-4) locomotive.

Date: 11/21/18 05:03
Author: jeffgeldner

Domo arigato- very nice!

I would show my Spanish Talgo and steam locomotive stamps from 1958 but the collection is in storage. It was the end of the steam era there and the beginning of Talgo train service.

Other memorable stamps are Canadian steam and electric locomotives, US steam, diesel and electric locomotives, New York's Grand Central Terminal and Mexico's Copper Canyon line (dating from opening year 1961).

Another interesting subject would be that of currency showing trains. Canada's Canadian is on that nation's $10 bill. The Utah state quarter shows the steam engines meeting at Promontory and I have a Mexican Peso coin dating from 1952 commemorating the opening of the Ferrocarriles Unidos del Sureste (United Railways of the Southeast) which connected Merida in the Yucatan with the rest of the Mexican rail system.

Jeff Geldner
Sequoia National Park, CA

Date: 11/22/18 16:03
Author: Ardenwood

Thank you for the post.  Wood block printing of steam trains was popular, as you see in these examples..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.4042 seconds