Re: Mauritania
Author: DaveL

WOW, Thanks for that , Ray.
Stunning video!!!
Dave

Date: 11/25/18 13:36
Author: boejoe

Most unusual film.  I wonder if blowing sand becomes a problem covering the rails.
On this Thanksgiving weekend the presentation certainly gives us something to be thankful for in this country.
jb

Date: 11/25/18 21:11
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Mauritanians are probably not aware how fortunate they are not to be living in Butte County, Calif.

Date: 11/26/18 06:21
Author: DaveL

Low blow, Lurch....put a lid on it!!!

Date: 11/26/18 15:54
Author: E25

Stunning video.

Any idea where the mine is?   I tried locating the railroad with Google Maps, but couldn't find it.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 11/26/18 16:58
Author: tevillo27

That is one of the best documentary videos I have seen in a long time. A fine look at railroads in a place we never hear about. 

Date: 11/26/18 17:17
Author: Ray_Murphy

E25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any idea where the mine is?   I tried locating
> the railroad with Google Maps, but couldn't find
> it.

The rail line runs parallel to and just south of the border with Western Sahara. At the "corner," it then angles north to the large black area about 100km up (apparently, it used to go through a tunnel to keep the line completely in Mauritania, but now there is a bypass into the corner of Western Sahara).

The line continues to a couple of other of the "black areas" in the vicinity of the first mine. The tracks in the mines and at the port are plainly visible in Google Maps/satellite view.

Ray  

Date: 11/26/18 19:40
Author: E25

Thanks, Ray!

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 11/28/18 13:18
Author: GettingShort

In January 2019 Young Pioneer Tours will be taking a group tour to Morocco, Mauritania, and unrecognized Western Sahara. The tour includes riding the mineral train. 
http://www.youngpioneertours.com/tour/western-sahara/

Date: 11/28/18 14:05
Author: goneon66

that will be very interesting tour........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0273 seconds