Home Open Account Help 318 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Severe Flooding in Queensland, Australia

Date: 02/08/19 15:24
Severe Flooding in Queensland, Australia
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather/article225998500.html

Does anyone know the specifics of where this happened and on which line?  The water almost covered up the camera!  

Date: 02/08/19 15:32
Re: Severe Flooding in Queensland, Australia
Author: tiltone

I think it is the rail line to Mount Isa 

Date: 02/08/19 15:55
Author: 9E56

That's Corella Creek, near Nelia on the line between Townsville and Mt.Isa. Just an aside - a corella is a small white parrot, common in the drier parts of inland Australia. 

A Pacific National freight train was stowed at Nelia at the time of the flooding. The lead locos and crew relay van had been detached and taken back to the small town of Julia Creek, but the mid-train remote loco (an 83 class GT42CU-ACe) was still on it. Most of that train is now on its side in the mud, with lead and zinc concentrate spilled. 

Date: 02/08/19 16:07

Thanks for the info.  It is all the more relevant to me as I rode the eastbound INLANDER on that line on June 15-16, 2015.  A truly fascinating railroad. I flew into Mount Isa and left later that same day by train.  The cab driver from the airport not only did not know where the train station was but was unaware that the town had rail passenger service.  Queensland Rail may have an image problem!  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/19 16:43 by CA_Sou_MA_Agent.

Date: 02/08/19 18:49

I used to drive the "Inlander" between Townsville-Charters Towers-Hughenden until 2010. It was always a challenge with such a tight schedule, and a maximum track speed of 50mph and 15mph through the crossing loops. You had to be back up to road speed as soon as you cleared the loop or you would lose time, so there was not much pausing between throtte notches. Most of the time we had a singe 2300 (with a 12-645E3C engine) or 2170 (with a 16-645E engine). 2212D (a 2170 class loco) was on the westbound "Inlander" on 23 February 2007, crossing the Cape River between Charters Towers and Hughenden. I saw the same loco a few months ago stored out of use at Baquedano in northern Chile!

Date: 02/08/19 19:32

Here's a pic of the train I rode out of Mount Isa.  The sleeping cars had been discontinued (except for the on-board staff) so it was an "interesting" trip.  I'm glad I did it as the line had a lot of traffic and some interesting scenery.  Before my trip I asked several people which passenger routes stood a good chance of discontinuance and they kept mentioning this one.  

Date: 02/09/19 03:44

2308D is an Aurizon coal traffic loco, usually found working trains between the train loadouts at Cameby Downs and Jondaryan and Fisherman Islands (Port of Brisbane). I saw it yesterday morning on a westbound coal empty at Buranda in Brisbane, second unit behind 2323D! Queensland Rail is doing all it can to get rid of the "Inlander" and "Westlander", making them a test of endurance rather than a travel experience. Until QR National (which was privatized to become Aurizon) decided to get out of the small freight business these passenger trains also conveyed freight in box wagons (and curtain-sided wagons), which were detached en route at Charters Towers, Hughenden, Richmond, Julia Creek and Cloncurry. As the train progressed these wagons were dropped off the rear of the train. The brake pipe was closed, the EOTM was relocated and the autocoupler release pin was lifted. The "Inlander" was ready to go before the passengers were in their seats. There was no need for a brake test, and when the train was gone a road/rail shunt tractor moved the freight wagon(s) to the freight terminal. 

Date: 02/09/19 04:17
Author: andersonb109

I rode the Westlander in 1995. At that time there was a sleeper and food take away car. I was invited in the cab by the crew for the beginning of the return trip from Charlieville. A great experience. 

Date: 02/09/19 11:07
Author: DKay

Was this flooding near where they put the acid train in the dirt approx 12-18 months ago.
Regards,dK

Date: 02/09/19 14:33

It's about 30 miles east of the acid train derailment site.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0567 seconds