Home Open Account Help 261 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)


Date: 02/22/19 17:26
Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: pedrop

Pics of a SD70ACe 7045 on the road been moved from Hortolandia, SP to Sao Luis MA, a 2,800km long trip.
The Demonstrator is rented to VLI railroad, north system.
Pics from a friend.
Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano, MG
Minas Gerais Railways



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/19 17:30 by pedrop.








Date: 02/22/19 17:30
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: tomstp

Pedro,  no picture.



Date: 02/22/19 18:08
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: pedrop

Now you have it. I added again

Pedro

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pedro,  no picture.

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano, MG
Minas Gerais Railways



Date: 02/22/19 19:35
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: E25

Wow... that thing is just huge!  Just 2.5 feet shorter than a U50C, or 7 feet shorter than a U50.

I can't imagine transporting something that size on a roadway for such a long distance.

If I was the equipment lessor and/or security holder, I might worry about how to "repo" something that big... LOL.

Interesting post, Pedro.

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/19 19:36 by E25.



Date: 02/23/19 08:03
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: mile250

Thanks for sharing.
I teach "Introduction to Railway Engineering," and have a section on special moves: how railroads need to keep track of weight and clearance limits for transporting huge electrical transformers, wind-turbine blades, oil refinery cracking towers, etc. I'd like to include your first image as an example from the other side of the problem: transporting rail equipment to an unconnected system.
Glen Matteson
San Luis Obispo, California, USA



Date: 02/23/19 08:59
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: tomstp

Does anyone know how much the moving company was paid to move this engine?  That is close to 1700 miles.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/19 09:01 by tomstp.



Date: 02/23/19 10:36
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: hoggerdoug

What are the three rods on top of the locomotive ?? Some type of deflectors for wires, close clearance detector etc ??
Incredible moving of a locomotive. Used to be a saying "keep on trucking by train", looks like "train by trucking".
Great posting, thanks Pedro.
Doug



Date: 02/23/19 11:08
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: jmt

It is not such a long move, though it is an exceptionatly large loco

The Cape gauge networks in Queensland and West Australia are around 3800 road kilometers apart (Brisbane to Perth)

Road is by far the quickest and cheaperst method for loco transfers

C&P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsKUf9-FV5Y

On bogies, wet, these locos weight 120 tonnes. Rig is speed limited to 80kph
 



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/19 15:43 by jmt.



Date: 02/23/19 12:09
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: PHall

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What are the three rods on top of the locomotive
> ?? Some type of deflectors for wires, close
> clearance detector etc ??
> Incredible moving of a locomotive. Used to be a
> saying "keep on trucking by train", looks like
> "train by trucking".
> Great posting, thanks Pedro.
> Doug

The "rods" on top are for just what you said, they deflect low wires, tree branches, etc over the locomotive.
Pretty common on many excess diamension loads.



Date: 02/23/19 15:54
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: pedrop

Hi, photo isn't mine. I received from a friend. It was took by the truck driver. I think you can use it without problem. He doen't care on it.

Pedro

mile250 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing.
> I teach "Introduction to Railway Engineering," and
> have a section on special moves: how railroads
> need to keep track of weight and clearance limits
> for transporting huge electrical transformers,
> wind-turbine blades, oil refinery cracking towers,
> etc. I'd like to include your first image as an
> example from the other side of the problem:
> transporting rail equipment to an unconnected
> system.
> Glen Matteson
> San Luis Obispo, California, USA

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano, MG
Minas Gerais Railways



Date: 02/23/19 15:59
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: pedrop

My friend at the truck company that move the SD70's says it cost about R$ 400,000 or U$ 100,000 per locomotive.

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know how much the moving company was
> paid to move this engine?  That is close to 1700
> miles.

Posted from Android

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano, MG
Minas Gerais Railways



Date: 02/24/19 09:51
Re: Another SD70ACe on the road (Brazil)
Author: YukonYeti

Great stuff as always, Rezende!

YY



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds