Home Open Account Help 329 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Russian railways winter passenger train performance

Date: 03/04/19 07:33
Russian railways winter passenger train performance
Author: inCHI

Does anyone know how well Russian passenger trains do in winter weather, especially the long-distance ones? I tried searching for news or performance data but didn't come up with anything that showed on time performance. RzD's 2017 report in English didn't have an on time performance metric that I found.

Date: 03/04/19 09:30
Re: Russian railways winter passenger train performance
Author: PHall

It's probably a state secret.

Date: 03/05/19 03:28
Author: andersonb109

While we haven't traveled by train in Russia during Winter, we have in Ukraine several times. All overnight trains arrived to their destinations either on time or early. Of course the distances covered are way less than those in Russia. Snow and cold don't seem to slow them down at all. The coaches are coal fired (oh the horror) so enough heat is never an issue. Borispol Airport never seems to shut down either. 

Date: 03/06/19 06:49
Author: GettingShort

My experience was the trains run on time and about the samw as any other time of the year. The same goes for Mongolia, Belarus, Ukraine, and Moldova. The trains are very comfortable and like anderson pointed out most are coal heated, and very sleep inducing. That's a part of the world that manages to get through a winter storm without complete paralysis.

Date: 03/06/19 17:58
Author: Duna

Russia knows winter. Trains will run.

Date: 03/07/19 06:28
Author: inCHI

Thanks. I asked some others familiar with Russian rail travel and they indicated that delays of even an hour would be considered unusual and uncommon. I'd be really interesting to know more about the operating practices and other things that play a part in that. One thing I wonder is how many more workers are still lineside in Russia and what role they play during weather events.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0294 seconds