Home Open Account Help 242 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Panama Canal Railway COFC at Gamboa

Date: 05/04/19 07:57
Panama Canal Railway COFC at Gamboa
Author: erielackawanna

The story of my one moving train in Panama didn't quite work out as I had wanted. The sun was already high and the clouds were high. My driver took me to the bridge in Gamboa where my plan was just to wait for a trian. Seeing the high girders on the bridge and the signs in the way after the bridge, I was settling on a shot location when I grabbed this first image of the bridge. At that point, my driver, clearly uncomfortable with where I was standing, called out to me that he thought I'd attract the police and get in trouble on the side of the tracks I was waiting on. I asked him, do you think we'd hear the train in plenty of time for me to get back when one came. He said he thought so. 

So I went and sat under a loudly flapping tin roof on the other side of the tracks, when moments later, too late to do anything, I heard what sounded like that almost silent hum of dynos behind me.

Somehow, no idea how, I managed to get the camera up to get this shot on the wrong side of the bridge and this going away of the power from my tin-roof shelter.

I turned to my driver and asked him, "Have you ever chased a train?" He said that didn't seem possible. I said, let's try. As he informed me that the police were very strict about speeding in Gamboa, we raced the train (tortoise against tortoise at that point) and somehow beat it to the other side of town. By then the clouds had fully taken over, but with the sun high, I suspect I was better off.

Honestly would have probably done better had I stayed on the other side of the tracks, but in the end I'm not sure it would have been that much better, with the high sun, the bridge girders, and the signs in the way.

I will get back to Panama one of these days to get some more shots.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 21:01 by erielackawanna.

Date: 05/04/19 07:58
Re: Panama Canal Railway COFC at Gamboa

The rest of the pics, after the chase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/19 21:02 by erielackawanna.

Date: 05/04/19 11:28
Re: Panama Cana Railway COFC at Gamboa
Author: Txtrainman60

It is VERY rare to see this railroad and it's operations! Thank you for posting! Please keep them coming.

Date: 05/04/19 13:39
Author: Lackawanna484

Very clean equipment.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/04/19 13:43
Author: nm2320

Thank you for your efforts and the resulting great photos. And also capturing the cruise ship and the train together. 

Date: 05/04/19 13:46
Author: boejoe

Shots look mighty fine to me.

Date: 05/04/19 14:16

Thank you to all for the kind words.

Date: 05/05/19 08:00
Author: CPRR

Very cool photos. At first I thought it was a electric line. 

Date: 05/05/19 12:45
Author: PHall

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very cool photos. At first I thought it was a
> electric line. 

That idea has been floated in the past.

Date: 05/11/19 09:02
Author: tq-07fan

I finally got to catch up on your series. Enjoyed it. You did quite well for having less than eight hours in Panama. Another place to add to the list of places to visit...

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds