Home Open Account Help 290 users online

International Railroad Discussion > FEPASA E32 Sophia Loren deadline in Santiago Chile

Date: 05/17/19 07:54
FEPASA E32 Sophia Loren deadline in Santiago Chile
Author: erielackawanna

When I originally was intending on going to Chile, I specifically added time to shoot the iconic Breda E32s (known as Sophia Lorens) that ran out of Santiago. What I didn't know, until I had committed to dates, was they were no longer in service. Sadly that meant the only ones I knew were shootable would be rosters of the dead line in Santiago. Found five there on the morning of April 14. Four were shootable, although one of them was jacked up off its trucks and had no windshield.

Not exactly what I had hoped for, but glad to have gotten something of a locomotive type that is likely soon to vanish altogether.

Date: 05/17/19 07:55
Re: FEPASA E32 Sophia Loren deadline in Santiago Chile

Some more images of the E32s stored in Santiago.

Date: 05/17/19 09:40
Author: utwazoo

The parts supply (3214) sits on shop trucks from a scrapped GE shovel nose diesel.

Date: 05/17/19 11:47
Author: SantaFe9820

really cool lookin locomotives! Thanks!

Date: 05/17/19 12:45
Author: MEKoch

Who built these locos when?   Trucks look like ALCO tri-mounts.  

Date: 05/17/19 12:49

Breda in Italy.

Date: 05/17/19 14:23
Author: 86235

erielackawanna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Breda in Italy.

Breda were part of the Gruppo Aziende Italiane consortium which electrified Chile's FCS in the 1960s. As well as the infrastructure GAI supplied locomotives, classes E17, E30 and E32, and EMUs. The loco's trucks were by General Steel Casting's British subsidiary, English Steel Castings (ESC). I'm sorry to see the back of the E32s, they were impressive beasts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/19 14:27 by 86235.

Date: 05/18/19 04:18
Author: CM80-46

What was the operating voltage? I like the slotted piolets.  Are model train models availible? I’m starting to take an interest in these foreign locomotive designs. There was a posting on the model railroad board showing a Syrian model locomotive.
Tthank you for posting these pictures.

CM80.46

Date: 05/18/19 07:50
Author: 86235

Nominally 3kV DC

Date: 05/18/19 20:26
Author: inCHI

CM80-46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What was the operating voltage? I like the slotted
> piolets.  Are model train models availible? I’m
> starting to take an interest in these foreign
> locomotive designs. There was a posting on the
> model railroad board showing a Syrian model
> locomotive.
> Tthank you for posting these pictures.
>
> CM80.46

I'm not sure about whether there is a model, but as the creator of the Syrian model, what I have found is that if a engine in a non-European country was a European design that was sold to a European railroad, particularly a western European railroad, the chances are decent that there is a model. If it was only a an export model (never owned in the US or western Europe) the chances are slim.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds