Home Open Account Help 367 users online

International Railroad Discussion > EMD G12

Date: 04/14/20 15:31
EMD G12
Author: Utahfannz

Three from Australia.
1 QR. G12A 1408.Rockhampton QLD Oct 1980 Eric walsh Slide.
2 QR G12A 1452. No details.
3. BHP G12, DE04 Whyalla South aust. Nodetails.

Date: 04/14/20 21:18
Re: EMD G12
Author: ajgreen

Hi all.

Located a couple of NZR classic images taken by my father. Sure he won't mind me posting them up here. Can't tell you where and when, but North Island of New Zealand will be the general location.

The last one #1455 is on the Endeavour leaving Palmerston North (my guess).

Enjoy.

Allister

Blenheim
New Zealand.

Date: 04/15/20 16:23
Re: EMD G12
Author: ROKERROBOT

The pic of 1452 hauling the south bound Sunlander , Cairns to Brisbane pass at the old Rockhampton station . Rockhampton is my home town , a new modern station was built in the early eighties beside the Diesel Shed where 1408s pic was taken .My late father Gordon worked as a machinist at the shed for 45 yrs , he started working on steam , The steam sheds were situated back right of 1452., a larrge rail workshop complex was built on the site , coal wagons are repaired there plus major loco mtce. 
Aurizon took over Qld Rail way back , the Rocky Diesel shed closed a couple of yrs back , locos are still parked in the ex ready roads . The shed may get a new life with the proposed Indian Adani Coal Project , there locos may be overhauled there. All that remains of the old station is the concrete patform and part of the station building is used the Railway rec Social group for dances etc. The entrance rd to the Diesel Shed goes past the entrance to the building . I parked there one night to listen to Dwight Yoakum who was playing at the Great Western Hotel across the street , i drove into the loco many times after work to see what locos were on shed , my father had long reitred by then  , most of the older shed workers were family friends , a xmas party was held down at the coast every year when i was a school boy.I have had a cab ride on 1402 and 1405 down at Gladstone back in 1967 , when i 12 yrs old , they were work engines when the Moura Short Coal Line was being constructed , Normie a lectrician and is son Ross  and Dad and i travelled down one sunday from Rockhampton to service the locos , 1402 was dumping ballast at Sth Gladstone. One steam loco was shunting the yard there , others were stored at the old steam shed where 1402 was taken to be serviced, multi EE 1270 class locos were parked nearby , this class was used on coal haulage from Moura Mine to the port of Gladstone , the Moura Short Line repaced a longer route the coal trains were taking which passed south and west of Rockhampton and onto rebuilt branch lines.  , A new diesel shed was being built nearby , it was dark when we checked it out before driving a hour or so back to the
Rockhampton Diesel Shed.  The shed at Gladstone has also closed , a newer larger complex was built on the outskirts of Gladstone where is there is a massive export coal yard  Ever changing with railways , i live in regional Nsw now and keep a close eye of rail operations in this area now , coal haulage big here as well , drought  has caused a lot of grain to be railed over from SA and western Victoria , the railways are busier . Watco took over haulage of grain up in Qld from Aurizon this year , Pacific National took over bulf sugar haulage from Aurizon. 
Graham.   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds