Home Open Account Help 365 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Noneuropean Railway Station Where Is it

Date: 04/27/20 15:00
Noneuropean Railway Station Where Is it
Author: BobB

I don't want to horn in on andersonb109's fascinating series of European railway stations, but I thought I'd include one that's not European.  When we were there we were told that it's the most photographed building in the Southern Hemisphere, but I don't guarantee the accuracy of that statement.

Date: 04/27/20 15:05
Re: Noneuropean Railway Station Where Is it
Author: J.Ferris

Dunedin, South Island New Zealand.

J.

Date: 04/27/20 15:17
Author: jeffgeldner

Correct- beat me to the answer. Beautiful station with the Taeri Gorge train a scenic run to Pukarangi (and on select daes, Middlemarch). Was there a few years ago.

Date: 04/27/20 16:10
Author: BobB

Correct.  Here is a train waiting to go, along with a picture of the inside of the station.  I originally had the inside picture attached to the post but realized that zooming in on some of the writing gave the location away.  It was a wonderful place to visit, including catching several trains at a crossing a little ways north.  New Zealand itself, of course, is a wonderful place to visit, and it seems to be on the verge, along with Australia, of eliminating the coronavirus, which probably no place else could do.

Date: 04/27/20 18:28
Author: Latebeans

For having no regular intercity train service this a very busy station, at least during tourist season. Dunedin was one of our favorite New Zealand cities. The only downside to our visit was climbing the San Francisco style hill to our B&B.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/27/20 18:42
Author: WoodwardEJ

Here's one more shot from February 2019 showing the entire street-side view of Dunedin Station.

Date: 04/28/20 00:20
Author: ajgreen

Sadly due to the massive downturn in tourism in NZ thanks to the Covid-19 virus, the Taieri Gorge Railway has suspended all operations, and the track is to be mothballed until the tourism picks up (who knows when that will be?).

A real sad story. I worked (volunteered) on the trains for a number of years, ferry passengers in the early 1990's up the gorge on Cruise ship trips (ex Port Chalmers to Pukerangi and return) barn dance and end of year Christmas train trips. Some great scenery, that people won't see for a while now.

Allister 

New Zealand,

Date: 04/28/20 15:25
Author: andersonb109

No problem at all. I was thinking of doing and International series of stations once I run out of European ones. I just read yesterday that New Zealand said they had beaten the virus with zero new cases. If so, isn't the railway's closure a bit premature? It's a really nice line. We rode it on a Mainline Steam tour of both islands during the stations centenary year in 2006 with AB 663 doing the honors. This was the only runpast of the trip although many were original promoted. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds