Home Open Account Help 277 users online

International Railroad Discussion > More from Argentina in 1990

Date: 04/24/20 13:24
More from Argentina in 1990
Author: 86235

1: One of the joys of Buenos Aires in 1990 was the power signalling system installed by the British Pneumatic Railway Signal Co in the mid teens for the FCCA (Central Argentine Railway). Approaching is one of the original Metropolitan Vickers EMUs which were about 55 years old at the time.
2: After almost a week in Buenos Aires I caught the limited stop El Libertador express overnight to Mendoza. An Alco RSD16 was switching freight cars in the yard next to the station.
3: This is El Libertador arriving in Mendoza on Monday morning, I'll be on it for its return to Buenos Aires that same evening.

At that time there were ten trains a week connecting Mendoza with Buenos Aires, the daily maid of all work was the Aconcagua, the twice weekly limited stop was El Libertador and there was the El Inti, which ran weekly and was also a limited stop service, slightly more stops than El Libertador and rather fewer than the Aconcagua.

El Libertador was a first class only train carrying two Pullmans (air conditioned chair car), two sleepers, diner, coche cine and, best of all, the coche bar. The latter was a complete car decked out like the cocktail bar of a slightly over the top hotel, carpeted walls, indirect lighting, stained glass portholes. Sadly it was missing on my return ☹️.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/20 15:49 by 86235.

Date: 04/25/20 13:46
Re: More from Argentina in 1990
Author: dwatry

Nick - nice shots!  Where is #1 taken?

Date: 04/25/20 14:55
Re: More from Argentina in 1990
Author: 86235

Thanks Duncan, it's the approach to Retiro Mitre, the former Central Argentine Railway (FCCA).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds