Home Open Account Help 224 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Trans Siberian Express Trip Part 2

Date: 06/04/20 03:30
Trans Siberian Express Trip Part 2
Author: andersonb109

As a mileage collector, doing the Trans Siberian route has always been on my  bucket list. But I wasn't thrilled about spending days on end with few or no English speakers and dubious food options. So when the English run Golden Eagle Trans Siberian Express entered service I began planning the trip. It's run much like a cruise ship, stopping almost every day at a different location for an off train tour thus breaking up the monotony.  Equipment was mostly new at the time and staffed by regular Russian Railway crews. Rooms come in two different sizes. Mine in Silver Class was much like an Amtrak bedroom. Upper and lower sold at a premium for single occupancy with en-suite toilet/shower/sink. For some reason, a flat screen TV was included. It was never used. The more expensive Gold Class rooms are bigger with a way larger bathroom. Since my trip, even larger rooms have been added with double beds.  The train has two restaurant cars and one bar/lounge which was insufficient for the number of passengers on the train. More on service in those later.  While there were some independent passengers, most were from tour groups like ourselves from Europe, North American, Australia and Japan. The only English speaker in the crew was the tour coordinator. Instead they relied on tour leaders from the various groups to do the rest.  Off train tours ranged from excellent to poor depending on the skills of the local guides used.  Following are photos of the trains interior and some of the art work at Vladivostok Station.

Date: 06/04/20 05:44
Re: Trans Siberian Express Trip Part 2
Author: pennengineer

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As a mileage collector, doing the Trans Siberian
> route has always been on my  bucket list. But I
> wasn't thrilled about spending days on end with
> few or no English speakers and dubious food
> options. 

When you are done with your travelogue I might have to post some pictures from my (Frankfurt -) Moscow - Vladivostok (- Tokyo) trip in 2016 on regular trains. While lacking in the opulence (and expense) of the Golden Eagle and as such a relatively plebian affair, it was a wonderful experience. I can attest that "few or no English speakers" and "dubious food" are mischarachterizations.

Date: 06/04/20 06:22
Author: texchief1

Nice!

Can you post some outside shots of the power?

Thanks.

Randy Lundgren 
Elgin, TX

Date: 06/04/20 08:15
Author: 55002

And that's a train!!!!!  I've fancied the trip on the Trans-Siberia, but many have said it's days of not much to see. Maybe one day I'll give it a go. chris uk.

Date: 06/04/20 10:05
Author: GettingShort

Amazing restaurant car. 

The real rare milage trip would be the BAM, Baikal-Amur Magistral, in platskartny...

Date: 06/04/20 10:17
Author: GettingShort

pennengineer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > As a mileage collector, doing the Trans
> Siberian
> > route has always been on my  bucket list. But
> I
> > wasn't thrilled about spending days on end with
> > few or no English speakers and dubious food
> > options. 
>
> When you are done with your travelogue I might
> have to post some pictures from my (Frankfurt -)
> Moscow - Vladivostok (- Tokyo) trip in 2016 on
> regular trains. While lacking in the opulence (and
> expense) of the Golden Eagle and as such a
> relatively plebian affair, it was a wonderful
> experience. I can attest that "few or no English
> speakers" and "dubious food" are
> mischarachterizations.

You should post your travels, the International board has been pretty slow for a year or more. 

Date: 06/04/20 17:44
Author: andersonb109

I'm trying. One trip at a time. I like to spread them out over a few days to keep it interesting. 

Date: 06/05/20 08:22
Author: wag216

Mr. Anderson -(my grandmother was an Anderson) I really like your stories and photos.
I will enjoy your work and we will take your "stuff" anyway we can get it!l  Thank you. wag216

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/20 08:26 by wag216.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds