Home Open Account Help 321 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Australia

Date: 06/28/20 22:24
Australia
Author: goduckies

Going to be in Sydney for 4 days are there any steam trains there? any can't miss diesel lines? I plan on taking the train to the blue mountains. Will be next May. Thanks

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/20 22:24 by goduckies.

Date: 06/29/20 08:56
Re: Australia
Author: Off-pending

Lucky you. I lived in NSW as an exchange student in the 90's. There were still a lot of Alcos running around then. I spent some time in the Blue Mountains too.

There's been a few local blokes show up here from time to time. Hopefully one of them will chime in. Enjoy your trip.

Date: 06/29/20 16:47

Thanks, never been there so its all new lol

Posted from Android

Date: 06/29/20 17:15
Author: MitchGDRMCo

You're going to the Blue Mountains, go look for the Zig Zag Railway.

Date: 06/29/20 18:01
Author: 4745

Zig Zag is currently not running but could be next year.
Thirlemere is the local train museum. About an hour south of Sydney with plenty of things to see.
Steam would/should be running every weekend next year during May. Check out www.thnsw.com.au for info.
Number of places around Sydney to see diesel hauled freight trains, mainly unit container and coal trains.
Alco diesels can still be seen on everyday traffic in multi unit consists.
Day trips out of Sydney will bring many more options.
Graham.

Date: 06/29/20 19:27
Author: DKay

I hope you are able to make it down here.I am being told it could be as long as 2023 before I can fly back up to the US.
There is a great narrow gauge steam operation down near Melbourne.Puffing Billy is well worth the trip down there from Sydney.About 1hr 20 mins on the jet.
Regards,DK

Date: 06/29/20 22:53

Yeah its a year from now hopefully they have a vaccine soon.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/30/20 02:19

The museum looks beautiful... I just wish it wasn't two hours by train away from downtown... Hopefully the zig zag is running by then.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/20 02:19 by goduckies.

Date: 06/30/20 05:14
Author: pennengineer

goduckies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The museum looks beautiful... I just wish it
> wasn't two hours by train away from downtown...
> Hopefully the zig zag is running by then.
>
> Posted from Android

Two hours each way isn't an unpleasant amount of time to spend on a train, especially if it's an operation you're unfamiliar with. Think of the train ride to get there as a bonus!

Date: 06/30/20 18:16

I get ya. Issue is I only have 4 days. So doing both the blues and the train museum and seeing everything else is going to be hard! Im going to try assuming I get there Lol I see there is a mothers day special train to the blues this year, well if they run it next year as well I will be there then lol

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/20 18:20 by goduckies.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds