Home Open Account Help 286 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Map Series - U.K.

Date: 08/04/20 05:31
Map Series - U.K.
Author: andersonb109

Here's my more detailed larger map of the U.K. Isle of Man is included. Missing from my travels is Ireland...both parts. Total U.K. mileage is approximately 13, 841. Most stations in and or out are London Paddington 41 times, , Heathrow Central 34 times, and  and Douglas Steam Railway Isle of Man  27 times. 160 stations total including heritage railways. 

Date: 08/04/20 05:45
Re: Map Series - U.K.
Author: pennengineer

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's my more detailed larger map of the U.K.
> Isle of Man is included. Missing from my travels
> is Ireland...both parts. Total U.K. mileage is
> approximately 13, 841. Most stations in and or out
> are London Paddington 41 times, , Heathrow Central
> 34 times, and  and Douglas Steam Railway Isle of
> Man  27 times. 160 stations total including
> heritage railways. 

Sorry if you already mentioned this elsewhere: when you refer to total mileage, does that refer to train-miles (i.e. counting each time you travel over a line) or route-miles travelled? And do you have a source for the route-miles or do you try to measure that using the map scale?

Date: 08/04/20 14:00
Re: Map Series - U.K.
Author: andersonb109

Total mileage would be total rail miles traveled. For some reason I've never bothered to count light rail urban or tram lines. So my total is probably a bit higher.  Maybe that's because before the Internet, they weren't easy to determine. Much of it isn't exact. Unlike some fanatic mileage collectors, I don't care if the rear wheel of the last car touched the end of track. Or if I was awake over the track. And my miles don't expire. Most mileage figures are taken from published time tables...mostly Amtrak, VIA Rail, and Cooks European when they were still published.  In the case of kilometers, they were converted to miles and rounded up or down.  What I call unique miles are miles traveled for the first time. I know now it's easy to use Google maps to figure mileage. I did that on my recent Brightline trip where the timetable didn't indicate distance.  I know many  here such as Mudrock have traveled way more miles than me. But I think I must be right up there with unduplicated miles with all  the international travel in so many far off countries. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0281 seconds