Home Open Account Help 314 users online

International Railroad Discussion > South Africa Ceres Rail

Date: 10/03/20 04:24
South Africa Ceres Rail
Author: andersonb109

While there was good news from South Africa last week (see earlier post on resumption of Blue Train service) today it was reported that Ceres Rail, owner of several steam locomotives including the famous Class 27 Red Devil has ceased operations with assets up for sale. In addition to their freight business which included rehabbing the branch line to Ceres,  this company had been running public steam hauled excursions using some of the defunct Union Limited's equipment. They also provided all power and trains for last year's excellent Far Rail photo charter. So happy I went. With this news, the likely hood of something similar happening again seem to be slim. Just another causality of the virus that originated in China.  

Date: 10/03/20 17:33
Re: South Africa Ceres Rail
Author: wpamtk

And the 1918 "Spanish" influenza actually originated in Kansas, but I digress.

Date: 10/03/20 18:15
Author: King_Coal

Certainly colourful. Thanks for posting this fine view.

Date: 10/04/20 04:39
Author: andersonb109

Update. Ceres Rail is now disputing reports that they are in liquidation. And say they plan to resume operations once new funding sources are found. For the sake of steam preservastion, let's hope that's the case. 

Date: 10/04/20 10:35
Author: masterphots

wpamtk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And the 1918 "Spanish" influenza actually
> originated in Kansas, but I digress.

Saying where it came from is far easier than dealing with it,  now that it's arrived.   This approach seems to have worked out well in DC.

Date: 11/05/20 09:20
Author: Keystone1

Glad to see she is still running.     I last saw her in 1989 at the head of the Orange Express.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds