Home Open Account Help 346 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Chile GE shovel nose passenger train

Date: 03/25/21 06:54
Chile GE shovel nose passenger train
Author: masterphots

Here a couple of views of GE-Alco shovel nose 7016 on a passenger train in 1958.  The first view is at San Bernardino, the first stop south of Santiago central.  It looks like the engineer is oiling around,  on a diesel no less.  The second shot is further south at Talca.   Both photos of a bygone era when passenger trains were the principal way to get around Chile.  It doesn't appear to be the same train as the unit is cleaner in the second photo,  but I'd guess the unknown photographers were riding the train.  At the time most trains were steam-powered and electrification hadn't reached south of Santiago.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/21 11:47 by masterphots.

Date: 03/25/21 08:58
Re: Chile GE shovel nose passenger train
Author: zorz

First I've seen of that paint scheme for Chilean motive power. Looks good on the shovenose. Thanks for posting!

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here a couple of views of GE-Alco shovel nose 7016
> on a passenger train in April 1958.  The first
> view is at San Bernardino, the first stop south of
> Santiago central.  It looks like the engineer is
> oiling around,  on a diesel no less.  The second
> shot is further south at Talca.   Both photos of
> a bygone era when passenger trains were the
> principal way to get around Chile.  Not sure it's
> the same train but I'd guess the unknown
> photographer(s)  was riding the train.

Date: 03/25/21 10:41

That's the original livery for those units.  In the later years of Ferrocarriles de Chile, the shovel noses were painted in a number of liveries.  Today's two survivors on EFE are yellow with blue trim.   Fepasa's six were in the blue/gray/teal colors.  Those units are all retired;  one became a slug which is still stored in Santiago and another hulk is at Talcahuano.  The other four were scrapped but their trucks survive as wide gauge transit trucks used to move imported  standard gauge units,  such as the BNSF SD40-2s,  from the port to the railroad shops.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/21 11:48 by masterphots.

Date: 03/25/21 11:59
Author: Hartington

I've seen some Fac*book posts recently from Uruguay recently where they seem to have restored a similar shovelnose.

Date: 03/25/21 13:09

Hartington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've seen some Fac*book posts recently from
> Uruguay recently where they seem to have restored
> a similar shovelnose.

If they have, it's probably one of these.  Penarol, Uruguay  5/3/12   The Uruguay units were double-ended,  rather than single as the Chilean versions.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0487 seconds