Home Open Account Help 338 users online

International Railroad Discussion > From the Before Time: New Zealand 2019 Christchurch Tramways

Date: 03/27/21 19:15
From the Before Time: New Zealand 2019 Christchurch Tramways
Author: NMlurker

In the final part of my New Zealand travelogue I will cover the Christchurch Tramways, which in the US would be called streetcars or trolleys. Christchurch once had a fairly extensive tramway system which is all gone. The current system is limited to a roughly four by five block area of the central business district and is aimed almost solely at tourists. One can obtain a day pass for unlimited rides. I alternated between riding and photographing. I observed four distinct tram cars in operation.

Thank you to all who viewed my New Zealand postings. I greatly enjoyed reliving this epic vacation from the before time.

1. Car 178 makes a stop at Worcester and Rolleston near museums and the botanic gardens.

2. Another view of car 178 making the turn from Worcester onto Rolleston.

3. Car 178 about to swing around the corner from Oxford Terrace to Cashel Street.

Date: 03/27/21 19:17
Re: From the Before Time: New Zealand 2019 Christchurch Tramways

4. Car 152 rolling along Worcester.

5. Car 152 inside the covered shopping and restaurant complex where the tramway ticket office is, not far from Cathedral Square.

6. Car 244 at Cathedral Square with the partially collapsed cathedral in the background. At the time, it had been over eight years since the devastating 2011 earthquake that did so much damage in Christchurch.

Date: 03/27/21 19:19

7. Car 15 on Worcester crossing over the Avon River.

8. Having reversed direction at one end of its circuit, car 15 is now on High Street heading for the intersection of Colombo and Hereford.

9. Car 244 at the current end of the line on High Street. The trackage extends farther down the street, but the overhead wires do not.

Date: 03/27/21 19:21

10. Christchurch also has no shortage of public art. Here car 178 passes a stylized shock of wheat (I think).

11. More sculpture at the end of the line on High Street with car 244.

12. At High Street and Cashel the tramway lines cross. Car 244 is going away from the camera and after making its stop at the end of the line, will reverse direction and come towards the camera on the track marked with the white arrow.

Date: 03/28/21 10:23
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE and interesting series!

Larry

Date: 03/28/21 10:47
Author: thehighwayman

Wonderful photos!
What is the track gauge? I know mainline rail in NZ is 3' 6" .... the photos of the trams appear to have a much wider gauge.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 03/28/21 11:04

thehighwayman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonderful photos!
> What is the track gauge? I know mainline rail in
> NZ is 3' 6" .... the photos of the trams appear to
> have a much wider gauge.
>
The historic Christchurch tramways were 4' 8 1/2" (standard gauge or 1435 mm) so that would be my guess for the tourist operation.

Date: 03/28/21 14:19
Author: Hartington

I see they still have the hooks on the front/rear of most of the trams to hang prams on! I can't find a picture of a tram but here's a bus Bus with pram.

Date: 03/29/21 14:13
Author: mundo

Thanks for this tour!

Need more traction from International and Europe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds