Home Open Account Help 313 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Then and Now: Junee, NSW, Australia

Date: 04/08/21 15:32
Then and Now: Junee, NSW, Australia
Author: NMlurker

Almost 42 years separate the first image from the second in the railroad town of Junee, New South Wales, roughly halfway between Sydney and Melbourne on the south mainline. Junee is also home to the former Junee Railway Workshop and the current Junee Railway Museum. Rail operator QUBE assembles container trains in Junee from a terminal in Harefield that run to Sydney. Pacific National runs a daily container train between Sydney and Griffith via Junee. Many of the Sydney-Melbourne freights pass through Junee overnight. There are also two pair of Sydney-Melbourne XPTs per day.

1. On November 20, 1977, a PTCNSW (Public Transport Commission of New South Wales) freight is northeastbound at Junee, NSW. The train is led by Goodwin-built Alco DL-541 #4520 and Clyde-built EMD A-7 #4201. Remarkably, both of these locomotives are preserved today. Photograph by R. J. Graf.

2. On October 20, 2019, the Transport NSW Griffith Explorer has made its stop in Junee and departs towards Sydney on a Sunday morning. The two-unit DMU operates Sydney-to-Griffith on Saturday and returns on Sunday. The station is out of view to the left. (my image)

3. A nighttime shot of the business end of the signal bridge in Junee. LED signals are really bright. Note the former tower to the left, not in use. Note at the far right in the distance (very hard to see by the right, distant red signal) there is a southbound Pacific National intermodal waiting to proceed. The branch to Griffith diverges at the left red signal in the distance. (my image)

Date: 04/08/21 18:53
Re: Then and Now: Junee, NSW, Australia
Author: DKay

Good stuff.That signal array and a pedestrian overpass got wiped out some years back when a container came loose off a flat car.I seem to recall they were ably to trace back to where the container had become unstable from paint scratches on lineside infrastructure.It had come from Brisbane ,and detached from the flat up the central NSW coast.Did considerable damage to the passenger platform as I recall.I see a south bound steel train early /mid afternoons  most days.Never see the emptys going back north,must happen at night.
Regards,DK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0418 seconds