Home Open Account Help 262 users online

International Railroad Discussion > Japanese Steam Locomotive in Background

Date: 05/17/21 18:21
Japanese Steam Locomotive in Background
Author: lynnpowell

I was watching Channel 13 News (Sacramento) this evening.  They had a story about Japanese citizens protesting the upcoming Olympics in Tokyo (Covid 19 worries).  In the near background was a live JNR steam locomotive!  The news report included background sound, and at one point the locomotive whistle was blown!  Maybe Hiroshi can fill us in as to what the locomotive was doing there.  

Date: 05/24/21 16:40
Re: Japanese Steam Locomotive in Background
Author: cchan006

https://hangorin.tumblr.com/post/651258030361608192

Above is a link to a "digital" flyer posted on 5/15/2021, calling on people to participate in an anti-Olympics protest starting from JR Shinbashi Station, then a march to Ginza, a popular upscale shopping area. The protest occurred on 5/17/2021 Monday, and according to my research, no steam excursions ran on 5/17.

However, there's a C-11 steam locomotive on display at Shinbashi at the public square, a popular place to stage protests. The static display has the ability to blow whistles using air compressor. I even found the schedule of the whistle blowing, 12:00, 15:00, 18:00.

The flyer has the protest starting at 18:00.

For U.S. sources, I found a CNN coverage of the protest, which had people marching toward Ginza already, so no steam locomotive. Channel 13 news is a CBS affiliate, so I suspect CBS footage might have the C11 steam locomotive with the whistle blowing. I couldn't find the footage during my sleuthing, although it might be posted somewhere.

The image in the flyer, which I "attached" to this post is from a previous protest.

Date: 05/27/21 04:48
Re: Japanese Steam Locomotive in Background
Author: Hiroshi

Nippon Sharyo built number 292 of Class C11 (2-6-4 tank engine) on the 11th of Feb. 1945. 
It was so-called “a war-time design engine” (Phase 4) which had square-type dorms mounted on the boiler. 
It was assigned to Himeji upon the delivery. And it has stayed there until the retirement (Sept of 1972.) 
It ran 1080+ kilometer,
A bit of Mystery behind it.
It was in Aug when the engine pulled out from the service and immediately after that, it was transferred to Shinagawa.
By Oct, it was displayed in Shimbashi to celebrate the 100 years of railroading in Japan.

Hope this helps

Hiroshi

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0397 seconds