Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Railfan Technology > Traveling by air with tripods and monopods?

Date: 09/22/07 18:51
Traveling by air with tripods and monopods?
Author: PasadenaSub

I was curious what the current TSA policies are - regarding bringing tripods and monopods aboard airliners as carry-on luggage? I recall bringing my monopod with me about 3-4 years ago, and the screeners asked what it was. Once they learned it was for photography (and not a weapon), they let me go on my way. But I believe the guidelines have tightened up a little since then, so I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Rich

Date: 09/22/07 18:59
Re: Traveling by air with tripods and monopods?
Author: bnsfbob

PasadenaSub Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was curious what the current TSA policies are -
> regarding bringing tripods and monopods aboard
> airliners as carry-on luggage? I recall bringing
> my monopod with me about 3-4 years ago, and the
> screeners asked what it was. Once they learned it
> was for photography (and not a weapon), they let
> me go on my way. But I believe the guidelines
> have tightened up a little since then, so I just
> thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

I recommend placing this item in checked luggage. Any item consisting of hollow metal tubes is going to get extra scrutiny.

Bob

Date: 09/22/07 19:40
Author: bnsfjth

They probably wouldn't allow it in the cabin, hollow tube or solid. It could be used as a weapon, so it is therefore a no no.

-Justin

Date: 09/22/07 23:13
Author: ricky

I would recommend checking it also. I almost always have to, since my camera bag and my laptop bag complete my 1 and 1 carry-on. I always hate to do it, because a $350 ball head and an $800 tripod aren't replaced easily, and the airlines refuse to guarantee safe delivery of camera gear of any kind.

As a note, having just flown this past week, apparently the TSA has instituted a new policy, which not only requires you to remove your laptop and video camera out of their bags, but any large electronics. The policy regarding digital cameras appears to be sketchy, however. When I left St. Louis, they told me this, and I asked them prior to sending my stuff through the X-Ray if it included digital cameras. The TSA lady said that would be OK, only to get dinged on the other side, nearly causing me to miss my flight, partly due to a broken metal detector delay. THe lady came back and told me we said remove all large electronics, and you didn't comply, so its your fault your running late. I then said I specifically asked you that question. She said, and I quote, "you said a SMALL digital camera". I quicky informed her I said "digital camera, I never said small", and she rudely replied I'm sorry, I can't hep you.

On the return trip from Salt Lake, I asked the same question of TSA personnel before getting to the X-Ray, but this time I flipped open the bag, and she said that was no problem, continue on, and I did without delay.

Just an FYI. I've got another trip in two weeks, we'll se what that holds, when I take the full compliment of gear with me.

Date: 09/23/07 03:24
Author: Mgoldman

I've had situations where I wanted to travel without any checkin luggage and
have had no problems taking a tripod into the plane. I've even been able to
strap the tripod to my backpack and declare both as one piece.

I don't think you will have a problem but you may want to call first, but then
again, you will probably get someone clueless who will tell you it's best not
to carry anything larger then an empty purse.

When I have flown with luggage, I usually take the ball head off and put it
into my carry-on.

/Mitch

Date: 09/23/07 09:19
Author: RustyRayls

I've been totally frustrated with dealing with the pinheads at TSA. My biggest problem has been that I get out of Las Vegas just fine but when I make the return trip, with everything packed exactly the same, I get hassled. I would rather drive for 2 or 3 days than deal with that, fecal matter for brain cells, bunch of morons. If I am forced to fly, I have a Fuji 9100 and a cheap WalMart tripod that I can get by with on a short trip. I will admit that my last trip (to Detroit & back) went smooth both ways with the whole shebang (DSLR, lenses, DVD burner and battery chargers). I checked a bogen tripod bag and packed underwear & T-shirts around the tripod to pad it.
As far as vacations go, I take a vacation to relax and get my mind off of work. I find it much more relaxing to drive 3 or 4 days each way to visit relatives back east. I drive the old 2 lane US Hwys that follow the RR and I take a different route going & coming back. I could do this for months at a time if they would give me more paid vacation (6 months on and 6 months off would be nice, I'd even be willing to work 12 hour days!)

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 09/23/07 10:27
Author: Alco251

I use a midsize Bogen tripod (3221) and a Gitzo monopod. TSA has told me twice to check them as baggage, so I do that (in a Tamrac padded tripod bag), with the ballhead removed from the tripod and placed in my bag with my clothes. I'll be the first to admit the Gitzo monopod would probably be an effective weapon. In this age of digital gear, checking the tripods is fine with me, since the camera backpack and the computer bag comprise my carry-ons.

Traveled on Southwest last weekend with video camera, DSLR, etc. and absolutely no problems (ONT and STL). But I did pack tripods--two for this trip-- as checked baggage in a large fiber shipping tube designed for shipping large video tripods. In transit, it resembles golf clubs. In fact--and a good hint for those inclined--those big golf club shipping cases do make excellent tripod shipping bags if you travel with bigger sticks or several of them.

Last year I flew to Montana and had to undergo secondary inspection (at ONT) with all the camera gear, etc. The TSA people seemed more interested in the Motorola radio, charger and extra HT batteries than the camera gear.

I, too, have had minor scrapes with TSA pinheads. On a trip in June (first leg of four legs to Alaska), the line was long, I was running late, and when they got to my briefcase/computer bag in the x-ray (sans computer), they stopped to discuss what they were seeing (a package of camera batteries with chargers), but not before spending almost a minute telling each other a joke. When I reminded the screener (politely) that I was in danger of missing a flight, I was told "so you should have gotten here earlier." I made the flight with six minutes to spare.

I followed all this up with a personal visit to a local TSA honcho, who told me that I should have gotten names and badge numbers of all involved and reported them. That's what I plan to do the the future, tho I must admit my last three flights (two thru ONT, one thru Burbank), screening went flawlessly, even with all the gear. Another frequent flyer told me that TSA folks at our local airport (ONT) appear to have gotten more efficient, less surly just in the past month or so. Maybe somebody had a bad experience like mine and rattled some cages higher than I did.

I'm off to MSP next week and--a story in itself--found the rock bottom fare at SNA--Orange County's John Wayne airport. So it will be interesting to see what attitudes I find among TSA people there.

Date: 09/23/07 11:10
Author: bnsfbob

If you do not believe that there is a real security threat then feel free to criticise TSA. When you look at the large number of people and items they have to screen, including sophisticated electronics, it is amazing that the lines thru security move as fast as they do.

I think inconsistency and the "strictly business" demeanor is part of the TSA regimen. I believe that TSA deliberately "mixes-up" areas of focus and methodology between airports and from time to time. Once again, if you think terrorism is not a threat, just do what you did before 9/11 (arrive 15 mins before your flight with tons of carry-on) and continue to get mad.

Airlines for years were looking for an excuse to get people to limit carry-on baggage (it was completely out of hand!). Then 9/11 gave them the justification. At they same time, checked baggage has generally become more reliable. There is really no reason not to check items. However, some advice. Anything easily damaged should be in a hard case. Also, the limit of airline liability is $500 per checked item. Most people do not realise that very cheap, all-risk personal article floater policies are available for camera and electronic equipment through their homeowners insurance provider.

Bob

Date: 09/23/07 19:17
Author: jjacob

Have traveled with a tripod packed in my carryon. Have not had any problems, even asked the tsa in several airports regarding carrying tripods. Their answer: As long as it is packed it should be no problem.

Your mileage may vary.

Hey Alco, what type of ballhead do you use?

JJ

Date: 09/23/07 20:25
Author: Alco251

jjacob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have traveled with a tripod packed in my carryon.
> Have not had any problems, even asked the tsa in
> several airports regarding carrying tripods. Their
> answer: As long as it is packed it should be no
> problem.
>
> Your mileage may vary.
>
> Hey Alco, what type of ballhead do you use?
>
> JJ

I have an Acratech, manufactured right along the good ol' Pasadena Sub in Glendora, Calif.
You can find their factory blem heads (a good deal) on Ebay.

Hey JJ, I've been on your company's jets pretty often this summer, no sign of a railfan in the right seat...

Date: 09/23/07 22:10
Author: NDHolmes

I travel with a (relatively) cheap tripod, so that if it does go missing in transit, no big deal. Always goes in the checked luggage to avoid issues. Fits nicely diagonally in my larger suitcase. The TSA already has enough fun with my carry-on bag (laptop, camera bodies, lenses, scanner, a mass of chargers and cables, other strange-looking electronic bits for work, etc.), and there's not a chance you're getting me to let that out of my sight. I've never lost the tripod, though usually the suitcase shows up with one of the "you've been inspected" tags on it. No big deal.

Date: 09/25/07 22:05
Author: yankeeclipper

Do NOT put anything of value in your checked luggage. I had $1,500 worth of camera accessories removed from my luggage while it was in the care and custody of United Airlines. (Camera body and lenses were with me in my carry on.) All I ever got from them was a copy of their regulations totally exempting them from any responsibility for camera equipment, and several letters from their outsourced customer people in another country apologizing for the delay in delivering my luggage. Never even an apology for the felonious theft by one of their employees or agents. Fortunately I never got around to changing the deductible on my homeowners insurance so it paid dollar for dollar after the deductible, There were a lot of police reports and equipment receipts to obtain so you will work for your claim payment. Be sure to carry anything of value with you, or do as I now do, send it ahead by an economy three day FedEx shipping rate.
George

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds