Home Open Account Help 177 users online

Railfan Technology > Usenet Binaries.com & the ABPR

Date: 10/25/07 19:07
Usenet Binaries.com & the ABPR
Author: Castle_Romeo

I read that the RIAA is going after the aforementioned site trying to shut it down. My question is this: If the RIAA succeeds in shutting down UsenetBinaries.com, will this affect the Railfan.net ALT.BINARIES.PICTURES.RAIL archive? Will this affect Railfan.net's archiving efforts of train pictures?

I hope not but perhaps someone here can give me a more definitive answer.

Sorry, I didn't know where to put this post...

Date: 10/25/07 19:59
Re: Usenet Binaries.com & the ABPR
Author: anthracite

Usenet.com is merely a website front-end for access to Usenet newsgroup content via means that are less inconvenient than traditional NNTP. The newsgroups themselves are beyond the scope of the RIAA's lawsuit against that one website. Likewise they are beyond the RIAA's legal reach. The newsgroups will continue unimpeded - they are **not** owned, controlled, or affiliated with that one website.

The very thought of RIAA attempting to stop Usenet itself is futile beyond words. Like the mythological Hydra, chop off one tentacle and two more grow to take its place! :)

Date: 10/25/07 20:55

OK, Thanks.

Date: 10/26/07 11:02
Author: tburzio

In the old days, Internet administrators would cut off the RIAA's internet access just because they are annoying. The did this as late as a few years ago, where a provider who refused to throttle a spammer got severed from the net. I guess now that the suits have control, it's a different world...

Date: 10/26/07 12:42
Author: norm1153

nntp (usenet) is actually a defined internet standard protocol, just as TCP/IP is. RIAA can't control a protocol (but not for wanting to, of course).

Date: 10/26/07 12:58

On a related note, I'm curious about how Railfan.net archives the railroad pics from Alt.Binaries.Pictures.Rail. More specifically, how they seperate the junk from the trains. Also which NNTP service do they use to accomplish this.
They might need a second seperate archive since there is now an Alt.Binaries.Pictures.Railroad group as well...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds